The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the market being very slow for sales I am contemplating opening up my Reverb sales to the world market. Has anyone had any luck with getting CITES certification for rosewood?

I was in contact with a rep from CITES some time back but they just dropped off the face of the earth mid way through the process and my sale died so its a frustrating process to say the least.

·
Premium Member
4,039 Posts
I purchased a guitar from a dealer in the U.K. and it took 10-15 business days for the CITES permit and it was held in customs forever. In the end, it took over 40 days from the date of purchase.

I have not applied for a CITES permit and luckily, the last 3 guitars I sold on Reverb had non Rosewood fingerboards.

·
Premium Member
11,530 Posts
Do any of the big stores in the US or UK supply CITES documentation for buyers?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I recently shipped a Les Paul to the States that had a rosewood fretboard. Took about a month for all the paperwork to get in order...my buyer was a very patient man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I spoke to a rep at CITES yesterday and they informed me I can fill out the paperwork and leave the receiver address blank which will put the certification in a pending status until a buyer is found. Its still going to take up to 40 business days to clear.

Reactions: sambonee

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I've sold a few guitars on Reverb with rosewood boards and not bothered with Cites. I can't imagine some customs agent opening the box and being able to determine if its rosewood or not.

·
Premium Member
18,550 Posts
I've sold a few guitars on Reverb with rosewood boards and not bothered with Cites. I can't imagine some customs agent opening the box and being able to determine if its rosewood or not.
That gamble may not pay in your favour though.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That gamble may not pay in your favour though.
I've come across enough horror stories with guitars being held in customs and confiscated that I would rather not take the risk.

Reactions: Diablo
1 - 10 of 10 Posts