The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,910 Posts
Jeff Flowerday said:
After seeing 100s of posts by Tag on the Gear Page. Just wondering if any Canucks actually have one?

I'd love to take an UG30 for a rip.
Does my AC30HW count?

:confused-smiley-010

Pete

·
Registered
260 Posts
Aren't they very expensive and overrated ? Someone posted gutpics at harmony central a while ago , and they did look badly put together .

Edit : Here's the link... at the bottom of the page .

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Coustfan'01 said:
Aren't they very expansive and overrated ? Someone posted gutpics at harmony central a while ago , and they did look badly put together .

Edit : Here's the link... at the bottom of the page .
Those pics were of a modded Bruno not a factory model.

Expensive yes, overrated is what I'm trying to find out.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Don't know about overrated but over-hyped for sure!
People seem to forget very easily that it's all in the eye (ear?) of the beholder.
Unfortunately, that just throws all objectivity out the window ... also, if you just spent that much money on a guitar amp, you'd want the whole world to know how great it is ... :tongue:
From the clips I've heard, they do sound like great tone machines but so do many other amps costing half as much ... not the same bragging rights though.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Yeah, I've got one!

I have a Bruno 'Leadman 100'. The best way to describe its tone is to think of the tone of a Soldano SLO with the gain from a Dual Recto, but remove the typical Mesa 'nasal' quality, and add much more note definition and clarity. With the pre set at around 10 o'clock, you've got gobs of gain, yet the note definition is unbelievable. Every nuance of your pick attack can be heard. I sold my 2 Mesas (Lonestar and .50 Caliber) after I spent some time with my Bruno. It's only 1 channel with 2 inputs. No effects loop, no reverb and quite frankly, I don't miss either. I play through it completely bone dry and I just love it's tone. Even though it's only 1 channel, it does clean up well when using the 'Lo' input. You're not gonna get 'Fender'-clean, but it's still decent. Sooner or later, I'll get off my rump and post some soundbytes online.
You may not have heard of this model because I think there were less than 5 made. I emailed the Bruno rep (Ultrasound in NYC) to ask about this, and he promptly emailed me back and said there were less than a handful made. I think the Leadman 60 (60-watt version) can still be ordered.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
I've worked on a Bruno some time ago...can't remember the model # but I recall it was an EL84 amp. It was nice but I felt it was a little overrated considering the price...IMO

·
Premium Member
16,951 Posts
I have a Bruno 'Leadman 100'. The best way to describe its tone is to think of the tone of a Soldano SLO with the gain from a Dual Recto, but remove the typical Mesa 'nasal' quality, and add much more note definition and clarity. With the pre set at around 10 o'clock, you've got gobs of gain, yet the note definition is unbelievable. Every nuance of your pick attack can be heard. I sold my 2 Mesas (Lonestar and .50 Caliber) after I spent some time with my Bruno. It's only 1 channel with 2 inputs. No effects loop, no reverb and quite frankly, I don't miss either. I play through it completely bone dry and I just love it's tone. Even though it's only 1 channel, it does clean up well when using the 'Lo' input. You're not gonna get 'Fender'-clean, but it's still decent. Sooner or later, I'll get off my rump and post some soundbytes online.
You may not have heard of this model because I think there were less than 5 made. I emailed the Bruno rep (Ultrasound in NYC) to ask about this, and he promptly emailed me back and said there were less than a handful made. I think the Leadman 60 (60-watt version) can still be ordered.
so just by reading your tone description.. it's a SLO100 revoiced and rebadged lol. before the flaming begins, i am making a huuuge generaliziation here, and since i know nothing of Bruno Amps i dont even know if they went off the SLO100 design. but I believe mesa did.

and how exactly is a mesa nasally...? i need to ask about that one, because that's not my experience.

sounds like an interesting amp - what's the price? a SLO100 is $3500 lol

·
Registered
847 Posts
so just by reading your tone description.. it's a SLO100 revoiced and rebadged lol. before the flaming begins, i am making a huuuge generaliziation here, and since i know nothing of Bruno Amps i dont even know if they went off the SLO100 design. but I believe mesa did.

and how exactly is a mesa nasally...? i need to ask about that one, because that's not my experience.

sounds like an interesting amp - what's the price? a SLO100 is $3500 lol
I guess thinking of it as a revoiced/rebadged SLO100 is legit. One difference though is I don't believe the SLOs are point to point, whereas the Brunos are. I believe Bruno started off using Dumble designs as a starting point - although I'm not sure if that's how this amp was designed.

Actually, a lot of folks online do complain about the infamous 'nasal' quality that Mesas have. My .50 Caliber had it and so did my Lonestar (although not as noticable). I know that Nomads, F-series and even the new 'Express' lines also have it. Even people on the Boogie Board talk about it (I'm a member on there too).

The retail on the Leadman 100 was around $3500 back when it was available.

·
Registered
375 Posts
There's a lot of difference between the Bruno 100 and the Cow Tipper,UG's. Even between the 22, 35, 45, they all sound a little different. For fender cleans, the 45 is awsome. I almost bought a 35, but decided to wait for a good used 45 instead. The 45 I feel is a little more versatile, and has the Fender clean at a higher volume. My impression of the 22 was it breaks up a little more like a Tweed Deluxe. I have played them all, but I have not owned one yet so take it lightly. There was a used 45 in one of the Ottawa music stores last month, cant remember which, tagged (pun) at 1750.00.

·
Registered
847 Posts
The one at the Ottawa store was also on eBay for the longest time. I have a lot of respect for Bruno amps. If I ever get rid of mine, it would only be because I want to get a Bruno S100.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Bruno 45

I just spoke with Lauzons in Ottawa and they still have the Bruno. Its a 45 with 2 knob reverb and effects loop. 1800.00. someone local should give it a whirl and report back. A little to far of a drive for Jeff!!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Yup, that's the store that posted it on eBay. I don't recall any bids on it at all, which is a shame - it's probably an excellent amp.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Actually, I think there's one CT90 and one CT45. I just noticed that there's also a 'TweedyPie 35', but I think they're asking a bit too much for it. I haven't tried any of them. The 2 CT's are being sold by a store (Tradarama) that does get Bruno amps in on occasion. He usually has some real nice boutique pieces in stock.

BTW, if you want to hear my Leadman 100, it's the amp being used in the soundclip I have in my signature.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Yup, that's my dream amp. I'll have one someday. I guess like the saying goes - you get what you pay for.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts