The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...i'm trying to decide between the L-200TL, the L-290TL and the L-298TL for the bridge position of an aerodyne tele (the neck will probably be a jason lollar mini-humbucker).

i spoke with bill himself, but he talks in technical terms that are far beyond my grasp.

basically i intend to use this guitar for fairly heavy overdrive/distortion settings, but still want a good clean tone.

thanks!

-dh

·
Premium Member
5,220 Posts
They are very good pickups for the price.

They make some special order pickups that aren't listed on the site too. After reading about them on the TDPRI and Fender Forums, I plan on getting a set of 'Keystones'.

I am not trying to plug another forum, but when it comes to specific Tele knowledge, you should really check out the tdpri.com forums. Those guys know everything there is Tele wise. They have given me great advice.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I have the L-290TL in one of my Tele's with his 280 in the Neck. It's somewhat hotter than a regular bridge pickup and much less of an "ice pick" edge to it and I like the combo better that my Fraling Blues Specials, which are much better than the stock pickups. If you're looking for something with a lot of growl you might want to checkout the GFS "lil hot puncher" - very inexpensive. I bought one just out of curiosity and liked it so much I kept it in my '52. I think I paid $25.00 for it new from GuitarFetish. But sound is a hard thing to describe and a personal taste, so this is just one man's opinion.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had Bill LAwrence pups once installed into a modified EBMM Sub 1 and I thought they were great although they weren't the same model you spoke of (280S (neck), 280S (middle) and 450-3.6 Henry (bridge). I do know that they are nice people and his pups are recognized by some as being of great quality

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tarbender said:
I have the L-290TL in one of my Tele's with his 280 in the Neck. It's somewhat hotter than a regular bridge pickup and much less of an "ice pick" edge to it and I like the combo better that my Fraling Blues Specials, which are much better than the stock pickups. If you're looking for something with a lot of growl you might want to checkout the GFS "lil hot puncher" - very inexpensive. I bought one just out of curiosity and liked it so much I kept it in my '52. I think I paid $25.00 for it new from GuitarFetish. But sound is a hard thing to describe and a personal taste, so this is just one man's opinion.
...the gfs lil puncher is what i have in there now. it does have a nice growl, but is much too muddy, especially on clean settings.

-dh

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
...spoke to bill again today...for over an hour! great story teller.

at this point i'm leaning toward swapping the steel bridge plate for one made of brass, and installing his L290 bridge pickup.

so...ummm....does anyone know where i can buy a tele bridge plate made of brass?

-dh

·
Registered
7 Posts
david henman said:
...spoke to bill again today...for over an hour! great story teller.

at this point i'm leaning toward swapping the steel bridge plate for one made of brass, and installing his L290 bridge pickup.

so...ummm....does anyone know where i can buy a tele bridge plate made of brass?

-dh
Try guitarpartscanada.com, or stewmac.com. Guitarfetish.com might also be able to set you up with some brass

P

·
0 Posts
lawrences

not trying to steer you away from buying new, or taking a sale from bill today, but I would look on ebay for some of the early '80s blade style tele pickups he offered...
I like them gobs better than the current ones.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
greenwood_woo said:
Sure you want a mini hb in the neck? P-90's sound pretty sweet to me in the neck of a tele...
...i'm saving that for my next aerodyne tele, actually. p90 in the neck and a really good, traditional single coil in the bridge position.

this one is to be a designated overdrive/distortion guitar, hence the need for humbucking/noise-cancelling pickups. i may decide to put a joe barden "danny gatton" in the bridge.

-dh

1 - 11 of 11 Posts