The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a trade offer via my Reverb listing and am tempted to follow up on it. The other "seller" has perfect feedback on the same number of transactions I have and we've been communicating via email. Seems legit.

Reverb suggests we simply buy each other's listed guitar for full protection, which does make some sense. Anyway, just wondering if anyone here has followed through on something like this and/or has some advice....

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
I would follow through on Reverb's suggestion and buy each other's gear unless you live close enough where you could meet.

·
Banned
13,247 Posts
I would buy each others gear because Reverb will most likely bill you for the trade anyways. You use their website/service to set it up and they'll charge you for it. It has happened before.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Agree with both Steadfastly and Vadsy. Buy each other's gear and pay the small sellers fee. Both of you are protected with the transaction. For me I'd rather be out a few dollars than risk losing my gear to a dishonest trader.

·
Yo.
1,266 Posts
I received a trade offer via my Reverb listing and am tempted to follow up on it. The other "seller" has perfect feedback on the same number of transactions I have and we've been communicating via email. Seems legit.

Reverb suggests we simply buy each other's listed guitar for full protection, which does make some sense. Anyway, just wondering if anyone here has followed through on something like this and/or has some advice....
Well... of course they would suggest you buy. They can take a 3.5% cut for each guitar.

But for me, I usually don't trade at all. Even on this forum, I will only trade with a very small group of people. Too much risk, no protections offered.

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,254 Posts
I would follow through on Reverb's suggestion and buy each other's gear unless you live close enough where you could meet.
I would buy each others gear because Reverb will most likely bill you for the trade anyways. You use their website/service to set it up and they'll charge you for it. It has happened before.
Twilight zone moment, I agree with these two. All we need is @TDeneka agree as well and that pretty much means that the earth is falling into the sun.

·
Banned
13,247 Posts
Twilight zone moment, I agree with these two. All we need is @TDeneka agree as well and that pretty much means that the earth is falling into the sun.
I wasn't posting to agree with Steadly, although he clearly knows his shit. I was posting to say that if you trade on Reverb it'll be the same as a sale. They're going to take a cut, they'll bill you after you pull the item. If you arrange to meet in person for cash or trade, they will bill you after you pull the item. Buy each other's gear and it'll all be kosher and protected. They keep tabs on your PM's and a hint of outside business raises flags for them.

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you both paying via paypal?
Yes we would, if it went ahead.

Agree with both Steadfastly and Vadsy. Buy each other's gear and pay the small sellers fee. Both of you are protected with the transaction. For me I'd rather be out a few dollars than risk losing my gear to a dishonest trader.
As a bonus, the other person has even offered to pay Reverb fees on both ends so I'd really only be out the paypal fee.....which would serve as some form of insurance I suppose. The only question now being "Do I really need another guitar?" It's a pre-Fender Gretsch Tennessee Rose and I have long been curious about Gretsches...

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Yes we would, if it went ahead.

As a bonus, the other person has even offered to pay Reverb fees on both ends so I'd really only be out the paypal fee.....which would serve as some form of insurance I suppose. The only question now being "Do I really need another guitar?" It's a pre-Fender Gretsch Tennessee Rose and I have long been curious about Gretsches...
He sounds like a reasonable guy, if it's a guitar you are into I would do it. I've only owned a 1980 BST 1500 which was a fun little guitar, and the build was nice on it.

·
Premium Member
12,979 Posts
I don't know anything about trading on Reverb, I will defer to those above with experience.

But if you haven't own a Gretsch and your tastes go beyond pointy guitars, you owe it to yourself to try one. I think the Fender-era Japanese versions are great, and there is no reason to believe the predecessors of those wouldn't be as well. If the deal works for you financially, I think you'll enjoy the guitar a lot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts