The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got these Sperzels because I hate having machine heads that don't lock. Installing them on a 3+3 Godin LGX-SA but it looks like there may need to be a bit of drilling. Anyone have any experience doing this? There are some brief bullet point instructions on the side next to some guide holes for the drilling.

Now I've pretty much never drilled anything in my life, and I don't want to mess up the guitar, so I was thinking of getting a tech to do it when I get the guitar set up with some mods I want done to it. Am I just being a n00b? Is this actually a really easy process that I can do on my own?

·
Registered
274 Posts
its pretty straightforward, I would use a drill press though if one is available. you just need to re-drill them to the modern size

·
Registered
74 Posts
I put some on a strat once, did think it to be hard.

Just make sure you dont drill through by marking the depth on the bit with a peice of tape. I used a handrill but a press would be better. If you do use a hand drill use a block to set the depth.
Quite nessesscary if the bit is very sharp it could pull itself right through.

Anyhow I used a fine punch to mark the spots.

heres alionk which may help you.

http://www.tkinstruments.com/id94.htm#drilling_your_own_post_holes_for_guitar

Good luck just remember to protect everything with something soft. If the actual hole through mus be drilled, use masking tape on the underside and a block under that so that the backside wont tear or chip out.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Not rocket science, just mark and measure carefully. StewMac makes a great little tool for the job, but it's pricey enough ($40-odd?) that usually only good shops have one.
Great tuners!-Eric

1 - 4 of 4 Posts