The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been a member long and have been away for a little while because of something really shitty that happened.

My best friend of 30 years died of pancreatic cancer a couple of months ago. We had plans. He retired out to Salt Spring Island a couple of years ago because that is where my brother and I are retiring, and we planned on doing some serious hanging out after retirement. All gone now.

He really wasn't having any symptoms until his blood sugar started going through the roof, and the next thing we knew he was told he had to have have something called the Whipple procedure or he was done in six months. He was told he could get up to six decent years in a best case scenario, so he had the operation last February and got less than a year. The guy was only 64.

Just wondering if anyone else has been affected by this horrific disease directly or indirectly?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Firstly, I am very sorry for the loss of your friend and for the difficult time he went through during treatment
I don’t think that there is anyone who doesn’t know someone who has been touched with cancer or who’s family has been directly affected or perhaps they’ve had it themselves. There are survivors amongst us.
It might sound corny and I apologize for that, but all you can do is remember the good times, the laughs, the fun and his spirit will live on.

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Sorry to hear this Rozz. It can sure be a struggle trying to cope with untimely losses. I hope you still carry on with the plan, I'm sure your friend would want that.

·
Premium Member
11,865 Posts
Sorry to hear that.

My brother's bro-in-law died of pancreatic cancer. Very rapid progression with very few options. Organ cancers can be the worst.

A good member (Strat-in2-Traynor) and really nice guy died a few years ago last month of a rare form of liver cancer (if I recall correctly).

Fuck Cancer!

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Really sucks. My brother died of some weird bone cancer a couple of months before retiring. I know it helps you to know other people care.

·
Registered
24,379 Posts
There's people you expect to lose - grandparents, parents, aunts and uncles, school principals, etc. - and there's people you think of as being there for your entire life, usually friends and siblings. What hurts is that you think of them as the witness to your most valued experiences. They're what make your life real. And in the absence of a witness, it's almost like they didn't happen. It's a real floating sensation. Beyond the sadness of the loss, it's just disorienting.

Life is great because it gives you great friends. Life is shitty because it takes them away. My condolences.

·
Premium Member
10,950 Posts
Sorry about all this.

Lost my best fishing buddy to cancer years ago (when they opened him up for an exploratory, it was everywhere...he phoned me from the hospital to ask me to be a pallbearer), then my aunt (brain), my sister (ovarian), and very recently a distant cousin (brain) who had rekindled a friendship after 50 years apart. My father, brother, and myself have had prostate cancer...brother and I have survived so far. Nothing ruins plans like terminal disease. Those of us lucky enough to beat it plan a little differently after the fact. The one that hurts the most was my older sister...49 and in otherwise great health...she was an amazing person. I'm 60 now and it's hard to see myself as older than her.

Live for today and all that. Be thankful for whatever time you have. Blah, blah, blah. I am lucky and thankful to be alive, but it's beyond stressful sometimes.

Fuck cancer. Just fuck it.

·
Registered
917 Posts
My condolences.

I lost my Father to cancer. Diagnosed in early March and passed away in late June of that year. It had spread so much it wasn’t possible to pinpont where it started.

I wish you solace in your time of loss and grief.

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
So sorry to hear about your friend.

My Mum has been through cancer twice, and my Dad died two years so (January 14th) of stage four lung and liver cancer. He had no symptoms and we had no idea he had it until he went into the hospital a week before he passed away. He had had a mild heart attack (his body starting to shut down) and, when doing tests for that, they discovered the cancer. Actually, the doctor in the cardiac care unit told us he had it before they did the tests because he said he could feel the tumors. My cousin's wife in Scotland died of liver cancer a year before my Dad, and other relatives have also died of various forms of cancer.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi guys, I want to thank you all for your thoughts. I actually kind of regreted posting this, but the response is much appreciated. Lots of good folks on this site.

To the people who were similarly affected, you have my deepest heartfelt sympathy.

Fuck cancer, sounds about right lol

Cheers guys and thanks again.

·
Premium Member
4,192 Posts
Sorry to hear and condolences to you and the family. My father in law passed away with pancreatic cancer a few years ago now. They kept telling him he has diabetes and he kept telling them I don't think that's the problem. When they finally diagnosed him with pancreatic cancer after a year or so, he lasted 2 weeks. My grandfather and father both had cancer when they passed away. It's a dreadful disease.

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry to hear and condolences to you and the family. My father in law passed away with pancreatic cancer a few years ago now. They kept telling him he has diabetes and he kept telling them I don't think that's the problem. When they finally diagnosed him with pancreatic cancer after a year or so, he lasted 2 weeks. My grandfather and father both had cancer when they passed away. It's a dreadful disease.
Thank you. Condolences to you and you spouse. Seems early diagnosis is uncommon. Just like doctors not listening to their patients.

·
Registered
24,379 Posts
There is a principle in statistics called "sampling without replacement". If I pick a spade or diamond from a deck of cards, and put the card back in the deck, my odds of picking a club or heart next remain exactly the same as before, because there are still 52 cards. If I don't put the first card back, the odds of any of the other 3 suits getting picked next go up, simply because there now 12 of one suit and 13 of each of the others.

As medicine and public health do their best to address and eliminate many of the communicable diseases, and sources of mortality arising from industrial materials/causes, that reduces the likelihood of anyone dying from those sources. We don't have too many friends or family of folks here dying of black lung or diptheria or pertusis any more. And since people have to die of something, it means they are statistically more likely to die of whatever is left. And unfortunately, the many forms of cancer are a very big part of "what's left".

I don't say any of this to diminish the pain for anyone. Hell, I lost both my parents at relatively young ages (neither ever lived to collect pension) to cancer, as well as my best friend at age 33, so cancer is no drinking buddy of mine. But what it does mean is that we'd better get used to cancer and heart disease being the primary reasons for having to say goodbye to those we care for and love. Ideally, neither of those take them from us for a long long time.

·
Registered
10,075 Posts
I lost an uncle to cancer a little over four years ago. He hadn't been feeling well for a while and tests weren't showing anything. He was eventually diagnosed with cancer in his brain and several other organs.

He died three weeks and one day after he was diagnosed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts