The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Monster Replier
'97 Strat Plus, 70's Northern Strat Copy
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know if anyone else has been following the WEBB telescope, but we are getting really close to full operational status. If you have seen some of the test image comparisons that thing has sent back, it is going to be amazing.

Anyone else follow ?

Reactions: isoneedacoffee

·
Premium Member
4,122 Posts
Among other things, my wife teaches the Earth and Space Science course at the local high school, so I'm in by association, and have been since shortly after conception. It's been fascinating watching the whole thing come together and it would seem the best is yet to come - it certainly should provide a Great Leap Forward in our understanding of the Universe.

·
Monster Replier
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll take interest by association.

I'm not nuts about astrology or anything but this is such a gigantic leap from what we have had available in the past.

It intrigues me to no end and I am glad to live in a time where we can see such thing. The difference one can see in the resolution of existing images Vs. the WEBB are incredible.

Soon we will once again learn that we don't actually know anything :)

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I just read up on it a bit. It sounds fascinating. Apparently it was hit yesterday by a rock that has had an effect on things... Actually it's been hit multiple times already in the short time its been up there. From an article on the CBC website:

The U.S. space agency, calling the impact "an unavoidable chance event," said it has now convened a team of engineers to study ways to avoid future impacts from similar space rocks.

For something that costs $10B, I would have hoped that this would have been studied BEFORE launch. But, I'm not a "rocket scientist".

·
Monster Replier
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right?

I gotta stop huffing so much glue at work...

while I am also not overly fond of astrology.... I do suppose in this case astronomy would be the more appropriate term ;)

I'll take a laugh any day, even at my own expense.

·
Premium Member
16,867 Posts
a team of engineers to study ways to avoid future impacts from similar space rocks.
Send a team up to install rocket boosters and lasers to it.
Hire three shifts of retired gamers and let them at it.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
I dont know if anyone else has been following the WEBB telescope, but we are getting really close to full operational status. If you have seen some of the test image comparisons that thing has sent back, it is going to be amazing.

Anyone else follow ?
I've been waiting for over a decade to get to this point... it was originally supposed to launch in 2010.

Really looking forward to seeing the results.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts