The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago I suddenly couldn't use PayPal for websites I've bought from before - in one case just the day before. Now anytime I try to use PayPal it tells me I have to add a Visa credit card or Visa Debit card.

Anyone else experiencing this, or should I go through the hassle of calling them?

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
I used Paypal normally just yesterday to pay for a s/w package sold for euros. Either myself or for work, several Paypal payment transactions were fine last week. In all cases not using bank account, just a single connected credit card (not the same one) on each Paypal account. Just one data point.

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
Be careful. Make sure you are adding info to the actual PP site and not a hijack of some sort. Check the URL in the address bar, too.

·
Premium Member
9,741 Posts
We can test it. Send me $500 and I'll let you know if I receive it.

Reactions: Moot

·
Premium Member
5,165 Posts
Sounds like you have spent the limit that Paypal has set for everyone who is not verified. I forget the number, but when you've spent either $2000 or $5000, they force you to add a bank account/debit card/credit card. I went through it twice over the years, two different levels of spending. Are you fairly new to Paypal or haven't really spent a large amount of money on it? if so, this is probably the case. Do what they ask, jump through the hoops and in a couple days all will be well again.
That's what my experience has been.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sound like @Lincoln is on the right track.
Too bad, 'cause I'm not adding a Credit Card. They can use my Bank Account, but that's it.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Not sure I agree with your logic. A credit card is safer and offers more protection than a bank account. If your CC gets compromised you make a complaint and the charges are deleted. If your bank account gets tapped getting the bank to refund your money will be a huge pita and take time while they complete their “investigation”.

·
Premium Member
2,461 Posts
Not sure I agree with your logic. A credit card is safer and offers more protection than a bank account. If your CC gets compromised you make a complaint and the charges are deleted. If your bank account gets tapped getting the bank to refund your money will be a huge pita and take time while they complete their “investigation”.
Yup. And they'll still bounce any cheques that come through while that happens...the bastages.

·
Premium Member
5,165 Posts
Yeah, I'm the opposite way too. When I started with PP, I gave them a credit card number. I didn't want them in my bank account. Everything was cool till I hit that magic number and they cut me off. I think the first time around I had to prove it was my card by telling them an amount they charged on it (something like $0.04). Then all was good again until I hit the next spending number, and to get it going the second time, I had to give them a bank account. No problems at all so far.......but I haven't sold a thing, only made purchases.

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
The only problem I had in the last week was I bought an item. then Paypal said there might be a delay in the customer shipping the item because Paypal made a mistake. I still have no shipping confirmation from the buyer. I have contacted the seller at least 3 times with no response. I have opened a dispute with Paypal and still no response from the buyer .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts