The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been flying much lately, but plan on spending some time back home this summer refreshing/sharpening my skills.

Always planned on getting my commercial, but time/money and distance to Springbank airport are an issue these days.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I'm a pilot!! Well on the computer that is. I've always wanted to fly a plane but never have. My cousin is pilot and mechanic. He's currently in Afghanistan fixing our crappy Canadian Forces aircraft(mostly helicopters). I don't think he flys them but he does search and rescue in them. I always joke that they have him on board to fix them as they fly!!

·
Registered
635 Posts
I wish I was. I think I'd make a good pilot too. Maybe someday when I've got a lot of money to spare I'll get my license.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I'm going for a flight this Saturday. At Springbank Airport they have a deal for an introductory flight. For $70 you get half an hour of ground instruction and half an hour of flying. I don't think I'll go for a license ever, but it'll be nice to see what it's like at least.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Are you nervous at all when flying man? I'd be freaked right out... hell, I'm afraid to even get on an airplane... missed out on a few vacations 'cause of this fear, lol.

·
Registered
139 Posts
violation said:
Are you nervous at all when flying man? I'd be freaked right out... hell, I'm afraid to even get on an airplane... missed out on a few vacations 'cause of this fear, lol.
You are probably a lot safer in a plane than on our highways.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Yep - Commercial, no IFR though. Night rating, Float endorsement (that was the best flying ever). Did that in Orillia, Ontario some years back. Havent flown for about a year now. Did a trip once from Winnipeg to Toronto Island, solo, via Duluth/Sault Ste Marie, to build hours. Filed a flight plan to fly thru a MOA, lo and behold - three B2 bombers in formation to starboard, less than a mile off. Didnt get a radio call though - they knew full well who I was and where I was headed. Lots of stories -

Peter

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Jeff Flowerday said:
I've jumped out of planes, so flying them is pretty normal.
Sweet Jesus... a bit of an adrenaline junkie are we? :eek: :eek:

That's some crazy stuff dude... I can only imagine what that feels like. I don't have enough balls to even think about attempting that, haha.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Jeff Flowerday said:
I've jumped out of planes, so flying them is pretty normal.
Only if it was going to crash would I jump. Why would I want to jump out of a perfectly good plane? Not a chance! Or bungee jumping either. I fell off the roof once, that hurt enough.

SeeYa :wave:

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
violation said:
Sweet Jesus... a bit of an adrenaline junkie are we? :eek: :eek:

That's some crazy stuff dude... I can only imagine what that feels like. I don't have enough balls to even think about attempting that, haha.
I'm not an adrenaline junkie, I enjoy life. There is only one thing better than jumping out of a plane, and that's extremely good sex. Average or crappy sex doesn't compare.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Pretty bumpy. Awesome view though. We went from Springbank airport to Bragg Creek, then back up towards Cochrane, followed kinda along the Bow and back to the airport.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I was...haven't in flown in well over 15 years. I had aspirations of becoming a commercial pilot until the crash (pardon the pun) of Canada's airline industry in the early 90's. I opted for responsibility (steady job, family, house and car payments) over living in a tent up north. No regrets though...as much as I enjoyed the training and the acrobatics, cross country stuff bored the heck out of me. Besides I have the attention span of a hamster and would very likely be a candidate for statistic (versus successful pilot).

My grandad was a bush pilot in Northern Saskatchewan. He said he wouldn't come flying with me until I had over 6,000 hours and would stay away from me around the 20,000 hour mark. Apparently he and his colleagues viewed these numbers as benchmarks and milestones for mishaps.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
I use to play Topgun for Nintendo ,never could land on that damn carrier lol !
:banana:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts