The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,915 Posts
....So, I recycled the power. Light didn't come on. Checked fuse, fuse good. On a whim, pulled the light bulb - blew it up, smoked it and put a hole in the glass.
Did the light bulb test fine before you tried this? You said it lit up and then went out as you were turning the switch off.

Is the circuit you are using for the test:
(circuit pic thanks to Doug / GC member "loudtubeamps")

Cheers

Dave

·
Premium Member
9,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I had a tiny whisker of a wire bridging the main voltage into the lamp. Cleared that out and WE HAVE THE RAWK!

Still have some minor issues
-bias points not giving readings, so I haven't biased up the power tubes yet.
-bright and normal inputs are wrong (dunno how that happened, if it's bad labelling on the faceplate or bad layout diagram. I wired it like I was supposed to)
-have bad (too high) voltages on the PI tube, thus
-the amp sounds GREAT but has very low headroom - I assume it's related to the above. It sounds sorta 'soft', not fuzzy at all but not crisp when dialed for clean.
-a minor issue with the overdrive pull pot, works but when pushed back in sound sometimes cuts out. Pulling it back out brings back sound

I've posted my tube pin voltages and other findings over at Trinity, hoping to get some suggestions on where to look first.

·
Premium Member
9,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Got it sorted out mostly. I missed a bridge on the V4 PI tube socket. NOW I have headroom and VOLUME. I was using the wrong setting on my meter for bias, it runs off a resistor so need to use v instead of mA. Still need to work out the overdrive cutout issue.

Ordered the headcab from Trinity this week (Xmas present from Mrs.). I'll do a vid once I have it all put together properly.

Oh, it sounds glorious!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Good stuff! The OD pot issue sounds like a defective pot. I remember thinking those push/pull pots felt a little on the flimsy side and had very little feel, but mine has worked fine from the start. I asked Stephen about alternatives and he said they had been looking at other manufacturers at the time but the cost was prohibitive.

The Triwatt is a great amp.

·
Premium Member
9,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
So after a gap of a month, I finished it up last night. Stephen sent me a replacement OD pot, and one out of spec resistor replacement....I swapped those out. My wife bought me the cab as a Xmas present, it arrived last Monday. Jammed with it learning how it responds at different settings last night, then took it to band practice today. I use a huge pedal board, and wanted a clean-ish platform...the TriWatt doesn't have as much clean headroom as I thought it might, but it doesn't matter - as with my formerly owned HiWatt Custom 50, the TriWatt plays VERY well with different dirt pedals plus the trem and phaser I use. I was getting some massive sounds today, can't wait to hear the rehearsal recording. It will reside most of the time at our rehearsal space, along with my Voltage 2x10, where this pic was taken this afternoon.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts