The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Read Only
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a relatively rare guitar listed on reverb with a lot of offers. I’ve been trying to navigate CItes but after 6 emails and far too many messages no one has gotten back to me. I’m thinking of exploring the option of getting someone to just drive it across and mail it from within the USA. Has anyone else tried this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
I did for an incoming guitar. Lots of people around Kingston/Belleville do it. They're very close to the border.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Yes, I've driven them over a couple of times. Absolutely no issues

The last time I sold one in the US, I decided to get the CITES certificate and ship from here. Big mistake, it got hung up in US customs and took several phone calls from the buyer and I to get it through. Luckily the buyer was a good guy and didn't get as bothered about it as me.

·
Read Only
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do American customs question it? I mean technically it could be robbing the US government of potential taxes.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Do American customs question it? I mean technically it could be robbing the US government of potential taxes.

They don't tax used goods coming in as far as I know. They did ask a few questions about the guitars (i.e. country of manufacture, type of transaction (personal or business))

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts
Here's the rub. CITES does say you can take a rosewood guitar across the border as long as the rosewood content is less than 10 thousand dollars. It does not say anything about taxes, duties or customs. CITES is a treaty between governments, they are not THE government. Therefore they have no problem with border crossing but you still have to declare stuff !!! The US and Canadian Govt's supercede anything written by CITES..... So if you bring a Canadian guitar to the USA and it has rosewood you are fine with CITES but any legal implicatons due to taxes duties legality etc are up to the Homeland Security and the CBSA. Common sense folks. Just because CITES says you can bring a guitar doesn't make it tax free or legal.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The last time I sold one in the US, I decided to get the CITES certificate and ship from here. Big mistake, it got hung up in US customs and took several phone calls from the buyer and I to get it through. Luckily the buyer was a good guy and didn't get as bothered about it as me.
Same. Next time I’m driving across.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts