The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have not had a vacation in ten years.
Me and the wife decided we are going away in January. She put a cap at 1000$ each. That leaves only Cuba. I have been looking at Sunwing and redtag.ca.
I then read the reviews on trip advisor. All the recent reviews are terrible for the resorts in our price range.
How do I decide? I need all inclusive on the beach.
I'm not really picky, but I don't want to be horribly disappointed either.
Anyone have a resort they have been to?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,250 Posts
Do you listen when she sets a cap on gear purchases? I'd suggest spending a bit more and get what you want

Reactions: TheYanChamp

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,250 Posts
Thanks Shitmo....helpful as always.
Seriously though, a few hundred more will open up more options. Most cheap all inclusive resorts are cheap because they're located in shit holes that are cheap to operate in. Great if you just want to get smashed on all you can drink rum and pass out on a beach. But if you want to see any sights without being robbed or abducted you gotta pay to play. I seen a local shot point blank in the face outside a resort... I spend a little extra these days.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately, even 1000$ each is pushing it. There are quite a few under 1000$, but they all have such mixed reviews, I was hoping someone might have been to an actual resort they can recommend.
Also, Cuba is one of the safest places in the Caribbean. They are extremely strict on people who rip of tourists.

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,250 Posts
Unfortunately, even 1000$ each is pushing it. There are quite a few under 1000$, but they all have such mixed reviews, I was hoping someone might have been to an actual resort they can recommend.
Also, Cuba is one of the safest places in the Caribbean. They are extremely strict on people who rip of tourists.
Spend the whole 2k on the wifey to go somewhere nice, the you'll have the house to yourself for a week. . Win/Win

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She already went away for a week this year and I was home alone with the three kids. It was pretty rough. That's why I need a vacation!!
Now if I could spend the 2k and go to a nice singles resort by myself..........
But I doubt she would go for that!

·
Premium Member
Reverend Flatroc (1st gen import), Gibson Melody Maker (2003 variation), Tele Builds
5,424 Posts
A lot of people knock Cuba, but I have been to several places in the Caribbean for resort vacations, and I loved it. But the problem is do not expect much from the hotels. 5 stars in Cuba would probably be 2 stars in Mexico. I loved the beaches, the cities, the people. So I really didn't care to much about the room I only used to pass out in. The nice thing about Cuba is no Americans as well lol. Sorry, had to say it.

As far as low cost vacations, you can find sell offs to all kinds of places in that price range. I did Mexico with my ex a few years ago at a super nice tiny resort in the Mayan Riviera for $1600 combined. This was a 5 star resort on sell off. And you can find deals for less than that. So while there's nothing wrong with Cuba, you do have options. And if the quality of your room is important, it's possible to get much nicer resorts in other places.

I am not a huge resort guy, I just have a policy if anyone asks me to go away in the winter I say yes lol. So most people do resort trips, and I just end up going along. So my priorities as far as lodging aren't as strict as some people.

Also, if it's an option look into

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We definitely cannot afford Sandals. I'm not super picky about food or the room, I just want a nice beach and good drinks.
But, some of the reviews of the resorts I am looking at are horrible.
Even Dominican is out of our budget.
It sucks. Maybe I will just wait until next year and spend 1500$ and go to the Mexican Riviera. Its awesome there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been to Memories in Veradero in 2015, and it wasn't bad at all. The food is bland I think where ever you go there, but the people were friendly and the beach was amazing. Lots of kids at Memories, so if you want quiet it's not the best spot.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.