The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heavy gauge "jumbo" frets impart a certain meatiness to string tone, but they take up space when space is at a premium up high, and can also pose challenges for intonation. So I was wondering if any builders, whether custom or big-brand, make necks with multiple fret gauges. For example, jumbos up the to 12th, and thinner above that.

Or is this an idea that has been tried and has pitfalls I never considered?

·
Premium Member
17,589 Posts
I'm assuming that you mean only the width of the fret and not the height? Otherwise, wouldn't fret levelling be an issue?

Maybe I am missing something here...I have only had 2/3 cup of coffee so far this morning.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
I seem to remember dan erliwine and bryan gallop discussing this I think the concept was to use progressively narrower and shorter frets once past the 12th frets to try to achieve as low action as possible......watched gallop level a fret board using the neck jig setup was pretty cool at the time

·
Registered
24,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To confirm, yes, I am assuming that all would be similarly levelled. Playing up high on a short-scale neck with jumbo frets is a pain. You have to stick your fingertips into a pencil-sharpener before attempting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts