The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just tried one at my friends house and it sound really thick and sustains for days. This is with the stock pickups, he's going to be putting in some 57's which should give it a much better tone.

My question is how does Epiphone make them so cheap, it really sounds awesome!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yeah I agree. Mind you I haven't played a Gibson ES-335 all too much, but I was playing a Epiphone last night and it sounded great!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Cheap labour & cheap materials are included in the price of a cheap guitar.
yes that may be true but if you get some gibby pots and upgrade the pups alot of times the epiphone will sound and play just as well if not better then alot of gibsons and they are only half the price... by far epiphone is the best mass production company way better then squire or the ibanez GIO line

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
A year or so ago I bought an Epiphone Dot Studio which is basically a 335 with no fingerboard dots, single volume and single tone controls. Mine has black hardware and a faded cherry finish. The pickups are acceptable, though a little lacking in character, and will be replaced eventually with something rockier at the bridge and jazzier at the neck. Playability is great. Looks cool.

Weak points? The tuning machines were absolute crap and not what the literature said would be on it, so I replaced them with black chrome Gotoh 510s. The output jack is simple fastened to the side without a jack plate and in my experience this will eventually become a problem so I have purchased a black jack plate to install.

However, in spite of the weaknesses, it's a pretty good basic chassis for hotrodding, and has a nice resonant body with lots of natural sustain. It was a factory second with a slight finish flaw so it was even cheaper than the usual street value.

Cheap Asian goods? Yup...but I've bought more than my share of Canadian gear so my conscience is clear. LOL.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Premium Member
13,168 Posts
Have a look at my avatar. Yeah, it's an Epiphone. Mind you it was made in Japan around 30 years ago, Still has the original tuners and electronics (don't make pots like that anymore the guitar tech said). I did replace the pups with '57s. The original neck pup was nice, but the bridge was too thin. I think I will have to replace the nut, but that should be about it. If you got the money, you should look an Elitist Dot.

http://www.epiphone.com/elitist/335dot.htm

Twice the price or so of a Korean/Chinese dot, but half the price of an Amercian 335 and just as good.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I bought a used Korean made Epi Dot 335 off of Ebay ($300), changed the pots, input jack and pups (put in SD 59's) and now it sounds AMAZING!! I was gassing for a 335 and considered the Elitist but it just seemed like too much coin to spend (given my limited ability at the time). Having tried out a Gibson 335 as well, I agree that the Elitist is just as good and way cheaper.

I have two hot rodded Epi's now which together cost me under $1000 including the upgrades. I have the Epi Dot 335 and an Epi Les Paul Standard with Gibson electronics and pups. Both sound amazing!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Years ago I had an early 70's Ibanez 335 Artist model and I had picked it over an actual 335. I sold it down the line ...duh. But a year ago I picked up a 95 EPI Sheraton II, changed the tuners, put nice pups in it and I like it better than my old Ibanez. Epi does make a great mid range product there is no doubt about that.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I really like the Epi stuff too. A good friend of mine has an older dot and after a pickup change it is an incredible playing and sounding guitar. I've got an Epi Les paul that I redid the electronics in and couldn't be happier. I have noticed though that in the last few years the Epi quality isn't what it was before.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I can see this is an Epi appreciation thread, and I don't really want to butt in, but I recently bought a black Yamaha SA500 new for just under $500 and it turned out the case was included, and it is a sweet guitar-I play it all the time. I don't know what the Epis go for, but I feel good about this deal. Sorry to intrude,
-Mikey

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I can see this is an Epi appreciation thread, and I don't really want to butt in, but I recently bought a black Yamaha SA500 new for just under $500 and it turned out the case was included, and it is a sweet guitar-I play it all the time. I don't know what the Epis go for, but I feel good about this deal. Sorry to intrude,
-Mikey
Yamaha makes some pretty nice stuff at reasonable prices too. I know a guitarist out here who uses a Pacifica (changed out the pickups) and it is a sweet playing and sounding guitar.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I have an Yamaha AES620 which is a fantastic guitar. Paid $600 for it and it rivals any high end guitar in terms of playability and aesthetics. But certainly doesn't hold any market value at all. It's a players guitar and not an investment.

·
Registered
283 Posts
the epiphone es-335 is alright. I have one, I've played others, I've played gibsons, tokais and others. definately good for the price, but I found the tuners to be a bit dodgy. they don't stay in tune the greatest. the pickups are alright. overall, a decent hollowbody for the price. the last es-335 i played in a shop was a tokai and it was unbelievable. tokai guitars are well worth the money($1500 for the es-335).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts