The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any problems? I always use USPS/Canada Post for shipping and I hear they don't really check for cites regulations. Last thing I want is to have customs confiscate my guitar.

Any recent experiences?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Any problems? I always use USPS/Canada Post for shipping and I hear they don't really check for cites regulations. Last thing I want is to have customs confiscate my guitar.

Any recent experiences?
I have sold and shipped a few, including one with a Brazilian rosewood board. Each time I obtained the required export permit from the Canadian authorities. It is an easy and free process. And you can obtain a pre-approval before the guitar sells and then get the final paperwork once you have the buyer details.

I then ship via FedEx.

I would not risk shipping without the export permit. And Canada Post cannot clear the CITES paperwork with customs. So you need to use a courier.

Mark

·
Registered
23 Posts
Send an email to [email protected]
The main contact there is: Lise Jubinville

She will send you the necessary forms and instructions.
Turn around on the pre-approval is about 2 weeks.
Once you supply the buyer information they issue the permit within a couple of days, but then it has to be mailed out to you, so it takes about a week.
Provide that export permit with your shipping paperwork to FedEx and they take it from there.

Mark

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If anybody is interested, this is the info you need to provide for a CITES approval....

We will need details on the make, model and serial number of the guitar, along with photos where we can confirm that information.

As well, we will need to know how, when, where, from whom, etc you obtained this guitar that you are now sending out of Canada. It is important for us to know the when, since if the guitar came into Canada after Jan 2, 2017, a CITES permit would have been required, and we would need to see it.

Ugh...just not worth it

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
If anybody is interested, this is the info you need to provide for a CITES approval....

We will need details on the make, model and serial number of the guitar, along with photos where we can confirm that information.

As well, we will need to know how, when, where, from whom, etc you obtained this guitar that you are now sending out of Canada. It is important for us to know the when, since if the guitar came into Canada after Jan 2, 2017, a CITES permit would have been required, and we would need to see it.

Ugh...just not worth it
I requested a certificate a few weeks ago, but haven't seen it yet. Might just drive it over the border and ship from there like last time.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Updated link (again)

Looks like they're close to an exception for finished musical instruments. Approved but not in effect yet.

Seems something is wrong with the posting & linking on this site.

If you google, " Breakthrough at Latest CITES Meeting ", it pops right up (and their site works) on mmrmagazine.

Reactions: Lull
1 - 10 of 10 Posts