The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Home Page - Gear Tech + Recording

I ask because I got approached at NAMM by a fellow who I gather is the editor. As near as I can tell it was at the recommendation of Stan Cotey, the guy behind the current line of Fender pedals. The editor fellow started chatting with Stan, so I said I'd catch up with Stan later. And after I had left the Fender booth, the fellow comes running after me, stops me, shoves his card in my hand and says to write to him. I gather the idea to bounce around was some sort of regular/semi-regular DIY column. We've touched base but haven't discussed the particulars yet, however I take it that was the basis of Stan's recommendation.

In any event, I was curious if folks had any thoughts about whether it is something they a) knew existed, b) had read, c) had any degree of respect for. It seems to be a recent startup. I guess the downside is that they have gear giveaways, and staff are generally exempt from such things. The other downside is that, if there is any remuneration, money regularly crossing international boundaries can make taxes complicated.

·
Registered
24,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update

So, I'm their new DIY columnist. Not sure when it begins to show up, but soon, and hopefully for a few years. Here's hoping I get to not only educate and motivate musicians, but also music store staff, and maybe put a bug in the ears of manufacturers for any useful ideas that crop up. I have a bunch myself, but I imagine end-users like the folks here have some as well.

This is exciting. Not especially lucrative, but exciting nonetheless.

·
Registered
24,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will do. I suspect they join a fairly long lineup in that respect. I can't begin to count the number of times I've encountered a pop-up window telling me that the security certificate of a site I've been to hundreds of times before has a problem.

·
Premium Member
13,026 Posts

·
Registered
24,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. That it came about because of an enthusiastic recommendation from a designer at Fender is the part that blows me away. That's some pretty serious expectations to live up to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts