The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sounds pointless to me.....but.......the wife orders material (fabric) all the time from eBay coming out of the US.
The last two shipments she has gotten have been shorted and re-packaged using USPS Priority tape. This latest one is marked as 12.4 pounds right on the shipping label. It was short 4 pieces of fabric and when we weighed it this morning, it weighed just over 2 lbs. Seller is willing to re-send or refund, but he is 100% sure all items were in the package when he mailed it (fairly big seller with a good rep). It sure looks like someone along the way is helping themselves to the goodies.

Anybody ever experienced this sort of thing in the guitar world?

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
It's not USPS it's Pitney -Bowes aka Ebay's Global Shipping Program. They bulk ship from the US to CAN and then often repack to minimise costs when they reship locally using CanPost. I had RAM shipped out by a seller in a padded foam box, removed and dropped in a simple cardboard (not even corrugated, like card stock) sleeve (looked to have been made out of a ceral box) and the RAM naturally arrived DOA. Same with a pair of speakers; repacked so badly one frame shouldered into the cone of the other and knocked the voicecoil out of alignment; needed to be reconed. I got my refunds in both cases, but that's what happenned and I didn't need the hassle.

There seems to be something weird going on now where global shipping program has become 1/2 the price of shipping direct (e.g by USPS). The last few sellers I contacted to aka for direct shipping quotes (vs GSP) came back with ridiculous numbers.

Lately what I am finding is the shipping quote is given but they have stopped adding the + X. for import duties they make you pay up front, so when you win the auction the shipping cost is dopuble what you expected. Used to show the total cost, which was actually prettyyu good. I find they totally overcharge on the tax; would rather pay it COD to the post office. Possibly that includes a brokerage fee (aka customs paperwork fee). It is also problematic becayuse if you return the item you can'ty get youtr taxes back (they require a form that you are not provided with due to the bulk shipping across the boarder).

Ebay may be over for me, at least for international buying, which is what it was mostly good for.

·
Premium Member
6,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just checked and the seller only ships by USPS. He doesn't use the Global shipping program at all.

·
Banned
12,928 Posts
i had problems with them once. i bought a recumbent bike that was shipped to me ups. when shipped it was frame in one box, wheels in another. both taped together and marked 1/2 and 2/2.
it arrived at my house as 2 separate packages on 2 separate days. they tried to charge me brokerage of $300 for both packages. they separated them and created a separate label for the wheels. when the wheels arrived, i showed the driver what had been done, and told him i was keeping the wheels, and i was not paying the brokerage fee a 2nd time. he called the police on me. after several hours, i straightened it out with ups and got a confirmation number. for nearly a year after that, i had to fight with ups every other month, and give them the original confirmation number and the person's name i dealt with, because they kept billing me for the 2nd brokerage, and threatening me with collections. another time they tried to charge me $1600 brokerage on a $2200 computer. i refused the shipment and told them to fuck off.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Refusing the package is pretty well the only way out. They tried that crap with me on something I ordered last year. The box was damaged and looked too small for the part I ordered. I asked the driver if I could open the box to check for damage and he said yes and I could see that they sent the wrong part and refused to take it. He told me he would get in trouble if I didn't take it even if it is the wrong part. I should take it, pay the brokerage fee and just send it back. I didn't accept it. UPS did threaten me a few times but since I hadn't taken the part, they eventually gave up and cancelled the issue when I called the complaint number they sent me. No doubt in my mind that they would have hounded me until I paid up if I hadn't refused the package. Now I just make sure I never buy anything that is shipped by UPS and has to cross the border.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
I think the last two posters missed a letter (no pun intended, lol).
To be fair, brown IS the worst. I dunno how many god dang times I been nearly run over by one of their trucks running a red or a stop sign. Also if you miss the package the depot for pickup is a bugger, then the brokerage fees....

Even Fedex is much better.

I just checked and the seller only ships by USPS. He doesn't use the Global shipping program at all.
Never had an issue with USPS direct; I think repacking would actually be illegal and I really doubt they would do that (they can be difficult, but one thing they are for sure is anally by the book as regards postal fraud). Either the seller actually used GSP or he's lying about his packing job cuz it was embarrassingly bad and he knows it.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
I think the last two posters missed a letter (no pun intended, lol).
I think when your complaining about problems with shipping, the thread title has one too many letters. Must be a UPS employee that posted it.:) (note smiley face)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts