The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On paper the newer Traynor amps look very sweet, and I've heard good things from some players as well.

What I haven't seen is any feedback on the build quality.

Have any amp techs or repair guys been inside one of these things?

How did it look?

Are the tubes chassis-mounted, or stuck on a PCB?

Any access problems, or "disasters waiting to happen"?

Anything else noteworthy?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,657 Posts
On paper the newer Traynor amps look very sweet, and I've heard good things from some players as well.

What I haven't seen is any feedback on the build quality.

Have any amp techs or repair guys been inside one of these things?

How did it look?

Are the tubes chassis-mounted, or stuck on a PCB?

Any access problems, or "disasters waiting to happen"?

Anything else noteworthy?

Thanks

Sheesh. At the risk of sounding like Derek Zoolander, how big do you think these amps ARE? I had a YCV40 and there's no way any normal sized technician could get inside of it.

Now if you'll pardon me, I have to go write a yougoogly.lofu

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...i was once inside a woman named mona traynor, but that was...oh, never mind.

sdsre

seriously, these amps are both well built and solidly guaranteed.

-dh

or, was it her sister...

·
Premium Member
16,657 Posts
...i was once inside a woman named mona traynor, but that was...oh, never mind.

sdsre

seriously, these amps are both well built and solidly guaranteed.

-dh

or, was it her sister...

I guess that was BEFORE she had her tubes tied.:banana:

get it?

tubes?

tube amps?

I know, you'r cracking up right? (well one of us is)

·
Registered
576 Posts
PCB sockets

i've got a ycv40 and the tubes go into pcb mounted sockets.

i gigged it, and it is definitely solid. my only thought would be that if traynor puts a 2 year "we'll fix it no matter how you bust it" warranty on it, it's tech's must be able to fix them. that's how i sleep at night. i just decided to start using it more at gigs, so we'll see. great sound though, use better tubes than sovteks though. tungsol=happiness.

·
Registered
737 Posts
...i seem to recall her sister was a tranny.

tran....sister...?

okay, my mom thinks i'm funny...kjdr

-dh
ah-haha.... Hey! That's one of my email addr. I really like taking a walk in Ampeg park: lotsa transistors and tubes.

:wave:

·
Premium Member
17,434 Posts
I couldn't resist(or) telling Michelle what a great pic she posted.

Even though the chassis is naked, the wires are very well dressed.

Dave

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I guess that was BEFORE she had her tubes tied.:banana:

get it?

tubes?

tube amps?

I know, you'r cracking up right? (well one of us is)
I know her. You have to warm her up before getting her going...and boy does she wail when you find her sweet spot.

And you should have seen the size of the cones on her...

·
Registered
737 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
I still haven't figured that one out yet.
Tranny = Transvestite.......read on.

In 1991, he was arrested for beating up Darius Barney, a transvestite street prostitute. "When I picked him up," Bonaduce later explained, "I thought he was a girl. I picked him up, he got in my car. As soon as he got in and the dome light hit him, it was obvious. He wasn't a good transvestite. If he was a good transvestite, I might never had known. I was wasted. He gets in the car and I said, 'Oh, sorry, wrong car.' And he says, 'Well you took me off my corner, give me $40.00.' I said 'Dude, wrong car, hop out!' This went on for 6 or 7 minutes and he still wouldn't get out. So I get out of the car, opened his door and pulled him out of the car. But when I did, I see he's this huge guy, about 220 pounds. I weighed 150 pounds! I attacked him first, not because I wanted to, I just thought I was going to have to and I'm too small to take the punishment from a 220-pound man. If he had hit first, I would have gone down and stayed down. So I attacked him and it turned into a fight".

·
Registered
737 Posts
Tranny = Transvestite...............
Or transsexual, transgender. TV is a hideous term, 'cross-dresser' is much preferred by those who do that.

Thanks for the update, I found something about this searching, just not up to speed on news like this but I know all about trannys. :smilie_flagge17:

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Or transsexual, transgender. TV is a hideous term, 'cross-dresser' is much preferred by those who do that.
Thanks for the update, I found something about this searching, just not up to speed on news like this but I know all about trannys. :smilie_flagge17:

...manual or automatic?

-dh

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I've worked with a band that doesn't like to slug their own gear, and they don't pay anyone to take care of moving it for them. They basically walk out the door after the show and leave the gear semi-packed up on the stage and in the good graces of the production crew; this is not a good idea kiddies as I've seen first hand what happens to this gear when it is dumped on the techs and loaders that allready have two tonnes of gear to tear down and load into the truck before they get to sleep, drive all night, eat or party.

I've seen Yorkville amps that have been thrown down flights of stairs, pushed off loading docks dragged around by their power cords and gennerally just abused. One crew actualluy makes a point of throwing the Yorkvilles as they can't believe the amout of abuse they take and still work night after night. Yorkvilles are tough, there is no question about it in my mind. Mesa Boogie and old Fenders are definately not in the same league.

I'm not guilty of this as I just leave the stage gear where it is, tear down around it and drive away - there are a few occasions where exceptions have been made for family emergencies, illness and those that have the decency to ask and keep their promise to show up at the other end to off load their gear.

I've allways wondered what people have had against PCB's. Every piece of PA gear I've used uses PCB construction and as far as amps are concerned pass way more current and run at much hotter temps than a guitar amp would. I've seen them go from being really hot to be thrown in the back of a truck that needed the heater block plugged in, pulled out he next day and run hot again - and they do this year after year.

Surface mount does scare me though.

How hard it is to fix an amp? Unless you yourself have to fix it, who cares? If you like what it does for you, don't wory about the repair guy - he/she gets paid to fix the stuff. Yorkville has a repair shop and they still fix all of their stuff, even the really old stuff.

I have a mechanic that used to allways tell me to buy a Tempo because they were cheap and easy to fix, I bought a front wheel drive Cadalac instead and probably paid for his wedding with my repair bills. Never once did I ever kick myself for not buying a Tempo.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts