The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
24,719 Posts
By all accounts, this was real and Andre was trying to hurt the Sheik.

Sometime in the late '70s, a friend and I ran into Andre the Giant at Fran's Restaurant on College Street, just the other side of Yonge from Maple Leaf Gardens. Did not approach the man, but when he got up to leave, I think all the salt shakers and sugar dispensers on the tables must have slid over in his direction as he stood up. My word, what a large man!

When I was standing in line to buy tickets for the Andre/Jean vs Don Leo Jonathan match at the Forum, there was a little granny in line ahead of me, and she was insisting on getting ringside tickets. I asked her if she wasn't afraid of people and things flying out of the ring and landing on her. She told me that Andre's head had landed in her lap once, and he was adorable and harmless. At least I seem to recall it was him, though it could have been one of the other wrestlers. Realistically, it is hard to imagine anyone, or even group of people, tossing Andre out of the ring.

·
Registered
24,719 Posts
Lex Luger - Montreal.
George Wells - Toronto, Hamilton, Saskatchewan.
Roman Reigns - Edmonton.
Tito Santana - B.C.
Brian Pillman - Calgary.
Ron Simmons - Ottawa.
Glenn Kulka - Edmonton, Montreal, Toronto, Saskatchewan and Ottawa.
Billy Graham - Calgary, Montreal.
Jim Duggan - Toronto.
I looked for any possible Youtube videos of those old CFL games where the halftime show was a wrestling match. Couldn't find any. But it WAS a real thing.

·
Registered
14,093 Posts
Sometime in the late '70s, a friend and I ran into Andre the Giant at Fran's Restaurant on College Street, just the other side of Yonge from Maple Leaf Gardens. Did not approach the man, but when he got up to leave, I think all the salt shakers and sugar dispensers on the tables must have slid over in his direction as he stood up. My word, what a large man!

When I was standing in line to buy tickets for the Andre/Jean vs Don Leo Jonathan match at the Forum, there was a little granny in line ahead of me, and she was insisting on getting ringside tickets. I asked her if she wasn't afraid of people and things flying out of the ring and landing on her. She told me that Andre's head had landed in her lap once, and he was adorable and harmless. At least I seem to recall it was him, though it could have been one of the other wrestlers. Realistically, it is hard to imagine anyone, or even group of people, tossing Andre out of the ring.
It's happened, not often but it's happened.

·
Premium Member
10,069 Posts
By all accounts, this was real and Andre was trying to hurt the Sheik.

In the Andre the Giant documentary that came out a couple years ago (MUST SEE TV, BTW) they showed a time when Big John Studd showboated in a match with Andre and he seriously got pissed off at him....Studd was running around the ring looking scared for his life.

The other wrestling doc that everyone should see is the one about Brett Hart. where the Andre one is a look into his epic, bizarre life, the hitman one was good insight into the business.

odd question, to connect wrestling to music....Did Freddie Blassie ever own the Toronto metal bar "Larrys Hideaway" in the '80's? I'd swear I used to see a guy at the door who looked identical and had the same voice. He didnt give a fuck that we were underage as long as we paid the cover charge lol.

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
In the Andre the Giant documentary that came out a couple years ago (MUST SEE TV, BTW) they showed a time when Big John Studd showboated in a match with Andre and he seriously got pissed off at him....Studd was running around the ring looking scared for his life.

The other wrestling doc that everyone should see is the one about Brett Hart. where the Andre one is a look into his epic, bizarre life, the hitman one was good insight into the business.

odd question, to connect wrestling to music....Did Freddie Blassie ever own the Toronto metal bar "Larrys Hideaway" in the '80's? I'd swear I used to see a guy at the door who looked identical and had the same voice. He didnt give a fuck that we were underage as long as we paid the cover charge lol.
I'll have to check out both docs. I've heard about the fued between Andre and Stud. Apparently Andre was considered the boss and his rule was he was the only wrestler who could step over the top rope. Stud started doing it and Andre didn't approve, and if Andre didn't like you, you had a big problem.

·
Premium Member
10,069 Posts
I'll have to check out both docs. I've heard about the fued between Andre and Stud. Apparently Andre was considered the boss and his rule was he was the only wrestler who could step over the top rope. Stud started doing it and Andre didn't approve, and if Andre didn't like you, you had a big problem.
exactly. it was his signature move, so if you "adopted it" it made things personal to him.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts