The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,723 Posts
Jesus, he was strong, and so agile at that age. About 2:00, when he stands up easy peasy with that other guy across his shoulders, wow. I probably saw him on tv first in the 2 years we lived in Montreal, mid ‘72-’74, lots of the wrestlers from that era mentioned here are familiar to me. Then we were watching I think it was All Star Wrestling in Winnipeg, I’ll go check my memory but sure we saw him on that circuit at least a few times.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
I grew up watching wrestling from the late 80's to late 90's. Fell away from it after that, but check it out briefly every once in a while. Would check out Last Ride, as that looks pretty cool. Undertaker was always my favorite character as a kid. Cool to see him doing so many interviews these days.
Watched this earlier as well! Great interviews on Hot Ones. Stone Cold Steve Austin was a guest too. Grew up on Stampede Wrestling here in Edmonton as my Dad knew Stu Hart. Talking old school now with Hercules Ayallah (my favorite as a kid), Dynamite Kid, Kiwi's, and good old JR Foley! Stood behind JR in a line for pop when I was like 10 and he never broke character. Was a total prick to the kids in line lol...

·
Registered
14,093 Posts
Jesus, he was strong, and so agile at that age. About 2:00, when he stands up easy peasy with that other guy across his shoulders, wow. I probably saw him on tv first in the 2 years we lived in Montreal, mid ‘72-’74, lots of the wrestlers from that era mentioned here are familiar to me. Then we were watching I think it was All Star Wrestling in Winnipeg, I’ll go check my memory but sure we saw him on that circuit at least a few times.
He was on All Star Wrestling from Van. and I'm pretty on Stampede wrestling too at times. Might have been at the Garden, maybe New West or Cloverdale. They fought all across Canada. Here's a few names you probably will recognize. Not the best film but it's from the 50's.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
He was on All Star Wrestling from Van. and I'm pretty on Stampede wrestling too at times. Might have been at the Garden, maybe New West or Cloverdale. They fought all across Canada. Here's a few names you probably will recognize. Not the best film but it's from the 50's.
He wasn't on very often as I remember, but when he was they put on a good show. I saw him against a bunch of midgets in one of the Stampede shows nearing the end of the Stampede era before WWF bought them out. I think I have to give a shoutout to Ed Whalen, the Stampede color commentator. He was pretty special with catch phrases of "In the mean time and in between time" and "Wham bam, thank you ma'am"

I also have to mention that my "old school" is much different from a lot of some of the other posters real old school wrestlers. After going through the thread there are a lot of names that I remember my late Dad talking about. Pretty sure he was a big Kowalski fanboy.

·
Registered
24,720 Posts
never saw either of those shows.
"They Live" is a terrific sci-fi thriller from John Carpenter, starring Roddy Piper. It contains one of the longest fight sequences ever filmed, and if I'm not mistaken, it is cheezyridr's favorite-ever fight sequence.

The film is also, according to philosopher Slavoy Zizek, a perfect illustration of how "ideology" works.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Ok, three pages in and no mention of 'Canada's greatest athlete', Gene Kiniski. ;)
Always sure to say "hello to all the shut-ins" and thank the viewers for "allowing me into your homes, via TV".

·
Premium Member
8,723 Posts
Ok, three pages in and no mention of 'Canada's greatest athlete', Gene Kiniski. ;)
Always sure to say "hello to all the shut-ins" and thank the viewers for "allowing me into your homes, via TV".

Well, according to wiki he was a partner in the enterprise. Why not pump your own tires and thank the audience? ;P

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I had never heard of Maple Leaf Wrestling before this thread. Then I had this pic show up on Facebook.

·
Registered
14,093 Posts

Check things over again. There's a vid of Gene and his son and he's in the Whipper Billy Watson vid and I believe in the Don Leo vid and he's been mentioned once or twice.

·
Registered
24,720 Posts
Al Oeming. Jeez, haven't heard that name in ages. My cousin worked for him years back at the game farm he operated.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
"They Live" is a terrific sci-fi thriller from John Carpenter, starring Roddy Piper. It contains one of the longest fight sequences ever filmed, and if I'm not mistaken, it is cheezyridr's favorite-ever fight sequence.

The film is also, according to philosopher Slavoy Zizek, a perfect illustration of how "ideology" works.
That was pretty interesting. Haven't seen the movie in a while, but if I remember that was the general vibe we got from it at the time. Piper's my all time favorite. I just dug out my old Born to Controversy DVD set that's been stored for a while. Probably difficult to find at any reasonable price now. I think I paid maybe $30 for it when it came out.

WWE: Born to Controversy - The Roddy Piper Story 4-Disc: Amazon.ca: DVD

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Check things over again. There's a vid of Gene and his son and he's in the Whipper Billy Watson vid and I believe in the Don Leo vid and he's been mentioned once or twice.
Sure enough you did, and on the first page yet. I stand corrected. :)

How about CFL > wrestling crossovers?
I'll throw out the aforementioned Gene Kiniski (Esks), and more recently Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson (Stamps, barely).
@ol' 58 mentioned Angelo 'King Kong' Mosca (Ti-Cats).
Any others?

·
Premium Member
9,715 Posts
Lex Luger - Montreal.
George Wells - Toronto, Hamilton, Saskatchewan.
Roman Reigns - Edmonton.
Tito Santana - B.C.
Brian Pillman - Calgary.
Ron Simmons - Ottawa.
Glenn Kulka - Edmonton, Montreal, Toronto, Saskatchewan and Ottawa.
Billy Graham - Calgary, Montreal.
Jim Duggan - Toronto.

Reactions: jb welder

·
Registered
14,093 Posts
Sure enough you did, and on the first page yet. I stand corrected. :)

I'll throw out the aforementioned Gene Kiniski (Esks), and more recently Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson (Stamps, barely).
@ol' 58 mentioned Angelo 'King Kong' Mosca (Ti-Cats).
Any others?
Al Oeming and Stu Hart. Joe Anoai tho he didn't play against his cousin and didn't fight his uncle, Rocky. Rocky was a not too bad boxer too. You had to be to spar with Ali and Foreman. Saw him wrestle a time or two in the Van. area.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts