The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
All these stories are great!

Reading about going to see shows in the 60/70/80s, or run ins with people in the business is super cool.

I've been a fan since I was a kid but fell out of touch (specifically WWE) around the 2009 mark. I've been to house shows and live tapings in my area and have been wanting to get out to see our local Indy talent (some of which has moved on to tv programming). Hopefully post covid, I'll be able to make it out to see some shows.

The past 18 months however, I've fallen back into watching and following, AEW specifically. They're fresh, they're new, I thought I'd give it a try. Turns out, A1 product most of the time. It's kind of refreshed my interest in it.

I hated turning on the TV and seeing someone talking for 10 mins about how they were the best, or throwing pancakes into the crowd . This new AEW stuff almost gives you the feel of "yes we know this is all fake but it's a show/entertainment so let's not treat the viewer as stupid" kind of refreshing.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
923 Posts
My daughter did/still enjoys it. The small shows would come to nearby towns. They Always put on a good show.

Say what you want, it's a show, but make no mistake those putting on the show are Very good athelete's.

·
Registered
11,968 Posts
I watched the old school stuff growing up as a kid, Atlantic, Stampede and All Star.
I watched early WWF, Ultimate Warrior, Superfly Snooka era.
It was still WWF when I lost interest.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
My 10 yr old son loves it so we all got into it
I used to watch wrestling when I was a kid but then stopped. We even go to local wrestling events (pre covid) and even got to know some of the local wrestlers. Its all good fun.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Not really. My friend is and he gets so mad when I tell him” I’m not paying money to watch two sweaty oily half naked men or women hugging each other” on that note I am very aware on the amount of training they have to go through. And any mistake can be fatal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
951 Posts
Forty five or so years back, I was hitch-hiking to school in downtown Montreal, and I got a ride from a guy who had done his doctoral work in sociology researching the world of wrestling and travelling around with the Rougeau brothers. The topic of "the blood" came up as we were driving and talking. He would not divulge any insider info about how the blood came, but told me it was real blood. The received wisdom was that, for some matches, the wrestlers would nick themselves with a razor blade in the dressing room, and seal it up temporarily with a styptic pencil (remember those?). The small cut would stay closed until the point where the wrestler had gotten good and sweaty, at which point it would open if stressed. Naturally, the copious sweat would tend to make a little bit of blood look like a lot more.

I got into wrestling back when Lord Athol Layton ( Lord Athol Layton - Wikipedia ) was the ringside commentator, and the big names - as I recall them - were Whipper Billy Watson, Bulldog Brower, and Killer Kowalski. Later, when we moved from Ottawa to Montreal, the fun guys were Edouard Carpentier and of course the Vachon family: Mad Dog, Paul, and Vivian. There were few things in wrestling as elegant and triumphant as Carpentier doing a backwards flip off the turnbuckle and disabling the members of the tag team who had been illegally pummeling his partner...maybe even producing and using the dreaded "hidden metallic object" . But you gotta love the Mad Dog.
“He may be an apprentice carpenter...”

that’s awesome.

i too enjoyed the late 70’s early 80’s wrestling, to add to @laristotle list, The High Flyers, Jimmi Brunzell, Bobby The Brain Hennen, Tito Santana, Hulk Hogan, and the ultimate Canadian of the bunch, Mad Dog Vachon!

the cage matches were the best!

·
Premium Member
3,963 Posts
Was a big fan as a kid. Saw all those guys back in the 60’s. Tex McKenzie was always one of my favourites. Tiger Jeet Singh lived just down the road from us.

·
Registered
24,719 Posts
There is an almost natural affinity of wrestling and rock. As an illustration, here's NRBQ's paean to the late great Captain Lou Albano, who you may remember would show up in Cyndi Lauper's videos. Our older son used to bop around the house to this when he was 5. It's catchy.

·
Registered
24,719 Posts
Los Straitjackets did a series of gigs a few years ago with Marshall Crenshaw, himself no slouch on the guitar. Gotta luv those Di Pinto guitars.

·
Registered
14,093 Posts
There is an almost natural affinity of wrestling and rock. As an illustration, here's NRBQ's paean to the late great Captain Lou Albano, who you may remember would show up in Cyndi Lauper's videos. Our older son used to bop around the house to this when he was 5. It's catchy.
Lou in a little different light. Rowdy Roddy too.

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,852 Posts
I grew up watching wrestling from the late 80's to late 90's. Fell away from it after that, but check it out briefly every once in a while. Would check out Last Ride, as that looks pretty cool. Undertaker was always my favorite character as a kid. Cool to see him doing so many interviews these days.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts