The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so maybe this is out of left field...

Does anyone here watch wrestling? WWE, AEW, NJPW, any of the Indies...just curious.

I guess it's the fact that as soon as someone in the "real world" they watch wrestling, it's dismissed as childish. However, I grew up on the stuff and think it's great lol. Call it, the show I can always turn my brain off and watch.

Maybe, if there's enough people here that do, we can make a seperate thread about it. Who knows.

Anyway, wrestling fans, raise your hand

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,762 Posts
Late 60's. My dad and I used to go to our local arena on Saturdays when the show came around.
Haystacks Calhoun, Angelo Mosca, Andre the Giant, the Sheik, Killer Kowalski, Mr. Fuji etc.
Had a lot fun back then. Even as a kid I knew it was fake.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Late 60's. My dad and I used to go to our local arena on Saturdays when the show came around.
Haystacks Calhoun, Angelo Mosca, Andre the Giant, the Sheik, Killer Kowalski, Mr. Fuji etc.

Great story!

My uncle really got myself into wrestling when I was a kid (he would let me watch raw during the attitude era, mostly cuz my mom was adamant that I shouldn't be watching it)

Those days back then for wrestling were superb. Can't compare wrestling decade to decade, but damn, some of those matches were absolute battles

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,125 Posts
Used to watch wrestling when it followed the Bugs Bunny Show and would go to see the various matches, mostly in Vancouver, when it was All Star Wrestling and Stampede Wrestling. This was in the 60's and 70's. Never got into the WWF/WWE or later wrestling.

On a Ten Man Over when someone like Don Leo Jonathan and Haystack Calhoun toss Gene Kiniski over the top of the ropes and he lands on his back on the concrete you know it's gonna hurt and when Andre the Giant lands on some one, sometimes they don't move for a bit. On occasion the wrestlers would forget that they were supposed to pull punches and "make it look good". In Vancouver the wrestlers used to have to watch out for the old ladies with their umbrellas. Cloverdale, New West and Langley were about the same. Anyway I think Don Leo says it right.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/langley-pro-wrestling-legend-recalls-fights-with-andré-the-giant-and-a-russian-bear-1.3165186 Never saw him wrestle a bear but saw him wrestle Kiniski a lot.

·
Registered
14,125 Posts
Not too sure what name he wrestled under but one of my aunts husbands wrestled for Klondike and Big Time Wrestling. I think he was called Woody Woodpecker.....his first name was Woody. Never saw him wrestle.

·
Registered
24,745 Posts
I went to see "Le match du siecle" (match of the century) at the Montreal Forum between Andre the Giant (who I think was Giant Jean Ferré at that point in his career) versus Don Leo Jonathan. Opening match was "midget" wrestlers, followed by a tag team between Billy Two Rivers and Chief War Eagle versus the Hollywood Blondes. As a kid I used to watch wrestling on TV on Saturdays with my grandfather, who would laugh so hard he'd need a cold cloth for his forehead. Somewhere in the basement is a WWF Wrestling board game, in which the players take on the role of "manager" of 2 or 3 of the wrestlers you have to choose from; all of them being from the '70s and early '80s. Iron Sheik, Big John Stud Hulk, Macho Man, Andre, the usual crowd. IIRC, you got to use each wrestler's "special hold" if you rolled double 6sa or something like that.

There are a surprising number of old-time matches on Youtube from the days before steroids. During the days when my dad sold insurance, I think he sold life insurance to Billy Two Rivers, who was from Kahnewake.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
I went to two WWE shows in the last couple years with my younger son ( he's 10 now). I had no idea about the characters, last I watched was the Stone Cold and The Rock era.

They put on an amazing show both times I went. I got the sense they actually appreciate the fans.

At the end of the fist show we went to, The Miz came out of character and thanked everyone for coming, spending their money, and acknowledged there was lots of entertainment options, and it matters to them to entertain the audience.

Been a while since I have heard a NHL guy say that, long while.

A bunch of them also spent about 10 minutes taking pictures with the fans ( good ole' days before COVID)

·
Premium Member
10,076 Posts
pre-covid, our town had a festival every summer “carrot fest “...they would have a couple of shows during the weekend. My kid gets a kick out of it and it’s good for some chuckles.
i have nostalgia for the old days when I watched it with dad...the new characters don’t have the same charm as the old ones did....once you looked past the racist stereotypes.

·
Premium Member
16,867 Posts
Like most kids I enjoyed wrestling when I was young.

My dad took me to a wrestling event featuring Sweet Daddy Siki, The Beast, Killer Kowalski and a few others in the Lord Beaverbrook Arena in Newcastle, NB.

What I remember most fondly about that show was the opening act.

Stompin Tom Connors did a set right in the ring before the first match. They lowered a mic down from the rafters, brought out the plywood and away he went.

I guess I lost interest in wrestling long before the big stuff started.

·
Registered
24,745 Posts
Does anyone remember when some CFL games (chiefly in Ontario) would have wrestling as the half-time show? The teams would trot off to their dressing rooms and an elevated "squared circle" would be wheeled out quickly, where someone the crowd likely knew of would have a best-of-3-falls match, a winner declared, and the ring wheeled out again to provide time enough for beverage-and-snack purchase.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts

I was a fan of that type of wrestling in the late 60’s and early 70’s. Then I got into the WWF & NWA in the 80’s. Not since then though.
I grew up in a small town and the wrestlers we would see on CTV on Saturday afternoons, from All-Star Wrestling or Maple Leaf Wrestling would come to town once or twice a year. I’m about twelve years old. Me, my buddy and my older brother are walking down one of the longer residential streets in town on a summer Saturday early evening on the way to the arena to watch the show. Buddy and brother get into some rough horseplay and one winds up running from the other because it’s verging on a fist fight. So I’m kind of dawdling along waiting for them to come back from running through back yards, when a big dark green Impala pulls up. Window rolls down and I look in and there sits Angelo Mosca. It was his first season as a wrestler after retiring from the Tiger-Cats the previous November. Cool. “Hey kid, how do I get to the arena from here?”. So I give him directions and said I would see him there. He actually offered me a ride! This was over forty-five years ago, so no one’s head would explode over that like today. Anyway, I said thanks but that I was waiting on my brother and my friend. So off he drives. The guys show up a minute later and I tell them what happened and they think I’m shittin’ them. Ok whatever.
Later that evening after Mosca “thumped” the bad guy, I’m going to the snack counter to get a pop and he’s standing there looking through the plexi-glass that separated the heated spectator area from the rink area, watching a match. So I walk up to him to say hi, and he has a big smile and takes me over to the counter and buys me a pop and a snack (I forget if it was a chocolate bar or chips or a hot dog or what) to thank me. The guys and a ton of other kids saw that. I felt ten feet tall.

·
Registered
24,745 Posts
Forty five or so years back, I was hitch-hiking to school in downtown Montreal, and I got a ride from a guy who had done his doctoral work in sociology researching the world of wrestling and travelling around with the Rougeau brothers. The topic of "the blood" came up as we were driving and talking. He would not divulge any insider info about how the blood came, but told me it was real blood. The received wisdom was that, for some matches, the wrestlers would nick themselves with a razor blade in the dressing room, and seal it up temporarily with a styptic pencil (remember those?). The small cut would stay closed until the point where the wrestler had gotten good and sweaty, at which point it would open if stressed. Naturally, the copious sweat would tend to make a little bit of blood look like a lot more.

I got into wrestling back when Lord Athol Layton ( Lord Athol Layton - Wikipedia ) was the ringside commentator, and the big names - as I recall them - were Whipper Billy Watson, Bulldog Brower, and Killer Kowalski. Later, when we moved from Ottawa to Montreal, the fun guys were Edouard Carpentier and of course the Vachon family: Mad Dog, Paul, and Vivian. There were few things in wrestling as elegant and triumphant as Carpentier doing a backwards flip off the turnbuckle and disabling the members of the tag team who had been illegally pummeling his partner...maybe even producing and using the dreaded "hidden metallic object" . But you gotta love the Mad Dog.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Watched Big Time Wrestling out of Windsor/Detroit as a kid, late60's,and early 70's. I remember Dick the Bruiser, Bobo Brazil, Pampero Firpo (tagged to be the wildman from the jungles I believe, with long shaggy hair, a guttural growl, and a claw hold called the El Garfeo), the Sheik, the Black Jacks tag team managed by Bobby the Brain Heenan, George "the Animal" Steel among others.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
I forgot this story. Retired from wrestling, Sweet Daddy Siki was singing with his lounge act about forty years ago, and would hit town now and then. We got to chatting in the bar one night and he commented on my size and physique. I was nothing special, 6’ 1” 185 lbs. (I’m a bit shorter and fatter now) but I was in good shape from growing up on the farm and playing with weights, but what I believe he was doing was flattering young fellows like myself and encouraging us to try our hand at pro wrestling, and of course he recommended a specific school, which he just happened to have business cards for in his pocket. He was bird-dogging for kickbacks I’m sure. I took a card but that’s as far as it went. I think the school was run by Fred somebody in Port Colborne.

·
Registered
14,125 Posts
I forget who it was but one of the tag team masked fighters used to slice his forehead with a razor and put clear glue on it and the cover it with his mask. Sometime during the fight his forehead would be hit and he would bleed. While the referee went to look his partner would jump the opponents. On occasion back then when the fight was over the wrestlers would carry it on in the isles but I don't recall them mouthing off for 10 to 15 minutes like they do now. The fans wouldn't stand for that. A couple of weeks ago when I was out with my son we stopped at a sports bar for lunch.....there was what they call wrestling on one of the tvs. Three of the goofs were tossing pancakes all over the place. This is them.
I went back to watching the All Blacks beat Canada in a World Cup match.

·
Registered
24,745 Posts
A guy from Puebla, Mexico, who I had exchanged e-mails with on another forum, was travelling across Canada with his then-girlfriend about a decade back. We arranged for him to come and stay with us while he was in the region. He asked me if there was anything he could bring me from Mexico as a gift. I said I'd love a "luchador" mask. He said they were kind of pricey, but he'd see what he could do. What he brought me was a poster advertising a big lucha libre match in his city, on Christmas Day, starting around 1:00PM or so. The poster is folded up and stored somewhere, so I don't remember all the details, but it was clearly oriented towards working folk. Printed on newsprint, with 2-3 colours, it cost a pittance to get in, less for children under 12 or whatever, and the poster indicated there would be tattooing available prior to the matches. I recall one of the wrestlers in the main bout had some archetypal name like The Phantom, or similar, except he had "Jr." at the end of his name. I gather he was from a lucha libre wrestling family and part of his motivational narrative in the ring was to avenge his father. But I thought that was really something for folks to head out to see wrestling on Christmas Day.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I still watch wrestling. Been watching since the 80's. I prefer AEW to WWE's product right now. Once WWE went into pandemic production it was really lacking. AEW were able to keep their momentum going and I love the high action of their presentation. Plus it totally looks like WCW from the 90's. I also enjoy MMA. I follow UFC and Bellator. Once the live crowds come back I'll start watching RAW and Smackdown again. I never got into Impact, ROH, NJPW or the indies. I've been to a few indie matches around Ontario and THAT is a good time. Nothing like a good wrestling match at the Legion.

Classic Carney entertainment!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts