The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, I am new here. I'm very glad to have found this site. I was a long standing member of Vanderbilly (since 2008), which turned into Guitar.com, which eventually ended entirely.
I have had a few guitar questions since it's demise, but nowhere to seek a community full of answers. I hope I have found that again here.

As this is my very first post, am I in the right place for my inaugural outreach?

On Vanderbilly we referred to it as VB, when it became Guitar.com, we said GDC.... what do we say here? CGF?

...also, as a p.s., are there any ex-VBers?? My handle here is the same one I had on VB, SWLABR... just like the Cream tune.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Hello and welcome! I do remember Vanderbilly and used it for occasional song lessons. Didn't realize that was what it evolved into. Enjoy the forums here and post whenever you feel the urge. Looking forward to hearing about your guitar and music interests. There are a number of forumites in your vicinity for sure!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.... I will eventually get around to posting some pics of guitars/gear.

I must warn you, I am guitarded! Like so many woman with too many purses, I've been told I have too many guitars! If there is such a thing.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Hello all, I am new here. I'm very glad to have found this site. I was a long standing member of Vanderbilly (since 2008), which turned into Guitar.com, which eventually ended entirely.
I have had a few guitar questions since it's demise, but nowhere to seek a community full of answers. I hope I have found that again here.

As this is my very first post, am I in the right place for my inaugural outreach?

On Vanderbilly we referred to it as VB, when it became Guitar.com, we said GDC.... what do we say here? CGF?

...also, as a p.s., are there any ex-VBers?? My handle here is the same one I had on VB, SWLABR... just like the Cream tune.

Hey, I do remember you from Vanderbilly. I remember chatting with you way back.
You used to live in S Etobicoke? Anyway, I posted this over here last summer:

https://www.guitarscanada.com/index.php?threads/what-happened-to-guitar-com.153041/

It didn't receive much response. Still don't know what happened there. Too bad...
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, John shut it down. Early VB was great. An awesome community, but it was dying long before it became Guitar.com. Some nostalgic's think that's what did it in. "Let's go back to Vanderbilly", but as I said, it was already on life support. But, that had to be me, I did used to live in S Etobicoke. Well, mid E. Not too close to the Lakeshore, not too close to Rexdale. You used ykram on VB?? Sounds familiar now....

I am one of the guilty contributors to the "on the G, at the 14th fret" while instructing instead of saying "the A". I guess I followed suit to the style John (etal) built.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Yep, John shut it down. Early VB was great. An awesome community, but it was dying long before it became Guitar.com. Some nostalgic's think that's what did it in. "Let's go back to Vanderbilly", but as I said, it was already on life support. But, that had to be me, I did used to live in S Etobicoke. Well, mid E. Not too close to the Lakeshore, not too close to Rexdale. You used ykram on VB?? Sounds familiar now....

I am one of the guilty contributors to the "on the G, at the 14th fret" while instructing instead of saying "the A". I guess I followed suit to the style John (etal) built.
Yes, that was me, I remember you mentioning 427 and Dundas. Used to really enjoy VB. There was a lot of transition there over the years. You are right about the 'life support'. It was
never the same after it merged with
G.com. Lots of good discussion here.
Wonder what will become of that huge
video library that was created?
I did manage to d/l all of my fave lessons..

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There's a Facebook page, "Refugees of Vanderbilly". It was started (before VB went under) by one of the old timers disgruntled about where it was heading.... I assume. Anyway, there are (supposedly) a ton of guys on there. I wouldn't know, I am not on FB, but I have a good friend who I met through VB, and he says it's good. A little less moderated, but good. Apparently John is on there too. Someone asked him about all those vids, and he said they all locked up. The guy wanted access to them, but he can't. I suppose if John sells the rights, or a new backer comes in, they will be there. I have my old vids on a hard-drive, so I don't care about those, but there was a thread called "Suggested Reading", where we posted reviews on books or documentaries of our favorite artists. I did a TON of book reviews. Those are something I'd like back! Is there a thread like that here??

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Welcome. I used to look at lessons on Vanderbilly. Never went on the forum. Most the lessons were for this finger goes hear this finger goes there type of thing . A lot of players did not even no the key the song was in or any theory.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
There's a Facebook page, "Refugees of Vanderbilly". It was started (before VB went under) by one of the old timers disgruntled about where it was heading.... I assume. Anyway, there are (supposedly) a ton of guys on there. I wouldn't know, I am not on FB, but I have a good friend who I met through VB, and he says it's good. A little less moderated, but good. Apparently John is on there too. Someone asked him about all those vids, and he said they all locked up. The guy wanted access to them, but he can't. I suppose if John sells the rights, or a new backer comes in, they will be there. I have my old vids on a hard-drive, so I don't care about those, but there was a thread called "Suggested Reading", where we posted reviews on books or documentaries of our favorite artists. I did a TON of book reviews. Those are something I'd like back! Is there a thread like that here??
Thanks, I'll look into that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts