The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This summer's infestation doesn't seem to have hit our area...yet***...but that may be more luck than anything else.

However, I assume a number of forum members reside in areas that have been besieged by tent caterpillars this summer.

Any tales of woe? Any recommendations for fending them off or reducing their impact?

(EDIT: Apparently it has, just not my neighbvourhood...yet)

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
We had infestations for a number of years here in the Maritimes. (I was living in Ontario at the time). My relatives told me it was so bad at times that the roads were greasy with them and many trees were denuded. Some put tinfoil around the base of their trees and coated the tin foil with grease. That kept them off the trees.

·
Registered
24,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does keeping them off the trees diminish their numerousness, or simply get the same number to relocate?

L

·
0 Posts
You have to walk around your property in the spring and look for their nests.
Snip off the branch and burn them or carry a torch with you.

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Yeah, in Toronto there's a bylaw against killing them. You're supposed to contact some department at the city and they send people round to relocate them. I think it's a flat fee of $500 per tent and if you don't pay it they add it to your property tax and you can't renew your plate sticker for your vehicle.

·
Premium Member
3,798 Posts
Yeah, in Toronto there's a bylaw against killing them. You're supposed to contact some department at the city and they send people round to relocate them. I think it's a flat fee of $500 and if you don't pay it they add it to your property tax and you can't renew your plate sticker for your vehicle.
Thanks Wynne

·
Registered
24,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I may have my facts wrong, but I understood they spend about 6 months as VW camper van caterpillars in between the tent phase and the trailer phase. But however long that phase lasts, you DO need to get them before they move into trailers and getthemselves a permanent mailing address.

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
The government relocation thing here requires that appropriate accommodation be provided since it's government doing the relocating. Toronto city counsel has been trying for years to get the so called private sector to provide funding for trailers and more land for sanctuaries etc to accommodate all this but for some reason they ain't going for it - probabaly something to do with Donald Trump. So, yeah, permanent mailing addresses, free health care, free prescription medication and medical marijuana paid for, free post secondary education and so on. No price is too high so long as the bugs all vote Liberal.

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
We've got a few, worst I've ever seen was Thunder Bay back around 2000, the trees were completely bare. There were so many on the highway that it caused accidents, slippery when squished...

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Does keeping them off the trees diminish their numerousness, or simply get the same number to relocate?
Probably a bit in the long run because you are cutting off some of their food supply. But they were very bad for a number of years. It didn't seem to kill many of the trees; it just denuded them of their leaves.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I've ridden over a lot of those buggers with my longboard now. I am pretty sure there are some ground into my longboard deck.

P

·
0 Posts
I agree with player99. Don't hurt them. Relocate them. To player99's place.
We have a 200 acre caterpillar sanctuary. Where they are treated with kindness.

When did denuding become a word? To me, nuding would be removing clothes. But denuding is removing nudity, so denuding is putting on clothes.

de·nude
dəˈn(y)o͞od/
verb
gerund or present participle: denuding
  1. strip (something) of its covering, possessions, or assets; make bare.
    "almost overnight the Arctic was denuded of animals"
    synonyms: strip, clear, deprive, bereave, rob;
    lay bare, uncover, expose;
    deforest, defoliate;

·
Mad Strappier
469 Posts
this year the highway was getting slippery from the little frackers this year. if you spray a 50/50 mix of detergent/water on them bunches
it does them no good - suffocates them. As kids we used to spray the bunches with gas them light 'em up.

They must taste real awful. Never seen a bird want to touch one.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
We have a 200 acre caterpillar sanctuary. Where they are treated with kindness.

When did denuding become a word? To me, nuding would be removing clothes. But denuding is removing nudity, so denuding is putting on clothes.

de·nude
dəˈn(y)o͞od/
verb
gerund or present participle: denuding
  1. strip (something) of its covering, possessions, or assets; make bare.
    "almost overnight the Arctic was denuded of animals"
    synonyms: strip, clear, deprive, bereave, rob;
    lay bare, uncover, expose;
    deforest, defoliate;
If you are stripping something of its covering wouldn't that apply to removing the leaves off a tree?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts