The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've been using guitarworks here in London since I landed but I'm wondering if there is someone better I should try? Someone who is known for working magic with strats? I'd like someone to go over my whole guitar in a month or so and tune it up. I'd be willing to go as far as Toronto to see the right person.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
The guys at the 12th Fret are excellent. Also used Brian Mascarin for a couple of set-ups (about 15 years ago), and he did a great job.

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
hey tim.

you're in a bad place, sigh. i've taken a few things to techs in this area, and i've been less than impressed with the quality of work. the guys at folkways music in guelph do good work, but they're on the pricey side. the guy who does work through long&mcquade in waterloo has a good reputation, but i have no personal experience. the guys at 12th fret have always been good. there's also hamilton, the place that did all the high end les paul replicas everyone likes (can't remember the store name, again never been there yet in person). best of luck.

·
Registered
239 Posts
hey tim.

you're in a bad place, sigh. i've taken a few things to techs in this area, and i've been less than impressed with the quality of work. the guys at folkways music in guelph do good work, but they're on the pricey side. the guy who does work through long&mcquade in waterloo has a good reputation, but i have no personal experience. the guys at 12th fret have always been good. there's also hamilton, the place that did all the high end les paul replicas everyone likes (can't remember the store name, again never been there yet in person). best of luck.
Place used to be called the Guitar Clinic, but it is now defunct. Actually, the Guitar Clinic sign is still there, but it only operates as the F bass shop. Mike Spicer set up a shop on King in Hamilton called the Peghead, but it now too is defunct.

I have heard that Mike now rents space in the the Guitar Clinic bldg. and does some work.

This is what I know. Others can comment/correct me.

·
Registered
239 Posts
So I've been using guitarworks here in London since I landed but I'm wondering if there is someone better I should try? Someone who is known for working magic with strats? I'd like someone to go over my whole guitar in a month or so and tune it up. I'd be willing to go as far as Toronto to see the right person.
You can always go to Songbird and Capsule as well. I go to Songbird for all of my amp service (Tim Dudley).

·
Premium Member
17,309 Posts
You might want to consider calling Sherwood Music in Kitchener (519-745-0021) and ask for Mike in guitar repair (there is more than one Mike that works at the store).

He has been doing this type of work for many years and has helped me in the past.

Dave

·
Administrator
15,979 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Place used to be called the Guitar Clinic, but it is now defunct. Actually, the Guitar Clinic sign is still there, but it only operates as the F bass shop. Mike Spicer set up a shop on King in Hamilton called the Peghead, but it now too is defunct.

I have heard that Mike now rents space in the the Guitar Clinic bldg. and does some work.

This is what I know. Others can comment/correct me.
Mike is working out of the old Guitar Clinic building, I did reach him there at his peghead number, and I saw him there last week.

He is still doing work, but I think he is being selective and he probably has a really long queue. In my opinion, he's one of the best in the business - anywhere.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Mike is working out of the old Guitar Clinic building, I did reach him there at his peghead number, and I saw him there last week.

He is still doing work, but I think he is being selective and he probably has a really long queue. In my opinion, he's one of the best in the business - anywhere.

Thanks for the update. I agree with what you say about Mike. He's pretty well fixed all my guitars. On a unrelated note, do you know whatever happened to Dan Thorpe and Randy from the Clinic? I remember buying stuff from Randy back in the Reggies days....lol. Super nice guys as well. I really miss those guys and hanging out every Friday after work.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Has anyone else used Greg at Matt's Music??? He's always done a good job on anything I bring him. He's there between 2:00 & 5:00 on Saturday.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey tim.

you're in a bad place, sigh. i've taken a few things to techs in this area, and i've been less than impressed with the quality of work. the guys at folkways music in guelph do good work, but they're on the pricey side.
I took my 1973 Ibanez Flying V into Folkway and they did an excellent job dressing the frets...They also "heated up" all the wires...It took em bout 4 weeks to go through my whole guitar and came to $493, but excellent job to say the least.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Thanks for the update. I agree with what you say about Mike. He's pretty well fixed all my guitars. On a unrelated note, do you know whatever happened to Dan Thorpe and Randy from the Clinic? I remember buying stuff from Randy back in the Reggies days....lol. Super nice guys as well. I really miss those guys and hanging out every Friday after work.

Randy is at Lou's Music on Concession Street in Hamilton a couple of days a week - I'm pretty sure Tuesday's is one of his days. He was also working at Pongetti's, but I'm not sure if he still is or not.

Dan Thorpe rings a bell, but I can't place him - there were allot of guys through the Clinic in the years I worked there, but only a few that I've seen recently.

·
Registered
20 Posts
guitar repair and settups in london

Dave Rogers right here in London is very good. you can reach him at: 519-4339353. He stands behind his work if you find something about it that you would like differently.

·
Registered
20 Posts
guitar repair in london

I forgot to mention that Dave Rogers is also the certified Martin guitar for this area.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts