The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the band gears up to go into the studio, I'm trying to find some cool amps to blend with the marshalls. An acquaintance of mine owns two Sunn heads, one of which is a first gen model T. He described it, I felt the GAS pangs haha.

I know these amps are very popular in the stoner/doom world. Does any of our group rock one?

·
Premium Member
16,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was one in Alberta I think. $1700.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
$1700 is a steal if it's a proper Model T in good condition. The Fender era reissues are simply re-boxed red knob Twins tho their value has climbed similarly with the gaining popularity of stoner genres. Regardless, they're completely unlike a vintage Sunn. The old ones were well made, though not Hiwatt level quality, thus clean and functional examples are quite a bit harder to come by. But by all accounts, and the single time I got to play one, it was absolutely crushing. Never heard anything else like it. After a good healthy Hiwatt halfstack, they are the pinnacle of my gear lust. Also one of the loudest things I've ever heard and headroom for days. DOOOOOO IT!

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Listen to Pelican's Forever Becoming album. The normal sounding guitar is a JCM800, the gigantic sledgehammer blasting thru your speakers is a Model T firing on all cylinders. THAT is the sound of the Sunn I played. Gets me jacked up just thinking about it!

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Sorry Budda, last post on this... you might look into Hovercraft amps. I believe their Elder Giant runs in the same vein as an old Sunn tho I'm sure it's not a straight clone. Nial has been a name in the stoner and doom scenes for a long time, and has the stamp of approval from many bands in that scene, Kylesa comes to mind. Might be a more reliable option than hunting down a clean Sunn.

·
Premium Member
16,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would probably ask my buddy at black market customs to build me a one-off if anything. I forget what their main head is based on.

There was a mesa coliseum head on consignment at 12th fret for $1k, I wonder if it's still there...

·
Premium Member
11,842 Posts
I've got this.....

IMG_0174.JPG

(of course it isn't really laying on its side.....).

While quite a ways from the old T100 that it's inspired by, it is close to that than a Red Knob Twin.

It was one of Fender's many attempts at getting into footswitchable amps with a high-gain channel. I did a lot of tube swapping to get the gain channel where I want it, and it's a good blackface type Fender with a gain channel now. Well made (not quite to Mesa standards but better than many new Fender's I've opened up) and nice features, like external tube bias points and adjustments. The clean channel is especially nice and the gain channel is decent with a 5751 and an AT7 along the path.

I believe the Machette is the most recent addition to this line by Fender.

Sorry, probably not much help regarding a T100, but you asked.

·
Premium Member
16,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I saw russian circles live last year, they had their Verellen rigs with them.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Verellen is gonna be big if they keep the momentum they've recently built going. Might just have to "settle" for one of them instead of a Hiwatt and Sunn lol. Something tells me there's no compromises about them.

·
Premium Member
16,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well there *shouldnt* be any compromise about any boutique builder. If there is, people should be talking about it and either it gets fixed or the company fails...

I'll be sorting out a time to try my friend's model T. I am worried about GAS pains..

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I have guardianship of a '67 Sunn Solarus, dead power transformer because some dimwit put 6550's in it. It's not the later 60w version, rather the 40w with EL34's and complementary iron. From what I gather from the experts, it's a Dynaco hi fi amplifier in guitar amp clothing. Indeed it's a very unusual circuit. I can only surmise that it won't give it up easily.

·
Premium Member
16,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Listen to Pelican's Forever Becoming album. The normal sounding guitar is a JCM800, the gigantic sledgehammer blasting thru your speakers is a Model T firing on all cylinders. THAT is the sound of the Sunn I played. Gets me jacked up just thinking about it!
Finally getting around to checking this album out. Then it's time to switch out receivers on my stereo haha.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts