The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last month or so we've been hearing a rumble/vibration in the pipes when we flush the toilet and sometimes when we use the bathroom taps. I've just recently moved a couple copper lines in the basement and starting drywalling the ceiling in the basement. Do you think the cold water pipe could be vibrating against a joist or something? Anything else I could check? :confused-smiley-010

·
Registered
944 Posts
Hi,

Tie down the pipes better with U-clamps. If it still happens, you may need a "shock absorber" on the line to absorb the pressure differences when taps/valves close suddenly.

Cheers!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Or shove a small piece of cardboard between the pipe and the joist.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had a similar thing. I just put some of that pipe wrap around them and problem solved.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
The last month or so we've been hearing a rumble/vibration in the pipes when we flush the toilet and sometimes when we use the bathroom taps. I've just recently moved a couple copper lines in the basement and starting drywalling the ceiling in the basement. Do you think the cold water pipe could be vibrating against a joist or something? Anything else I could check? :confused-smiley-010

Everyone has given you good advice but the problem may disappear on its own. You've probably got some air bubbles in the line from the changes you made. These tend to get trapped at various twists and bends. The water flow can't always push the bubble through but rather travels beside, over or under, depending on the bend and gravity.

The water flow makes the bubble shake and that's what causes the vibration you're hearing.

It can take a while but eventually the bubbles "wear out" and disappear.

Still. better clampling makes sense. Especially if you want to close everything up with drywall! If a bubble refuses to go away you'd have to tear something out to get at the pipes for more clamping.

Do it now while it's easy!

:food-smiley-004:

·
Premium Member
17,578 Posts
I'm not a plunber, just had the same experience in the past.

This is sometimes called a "water hammer"

You can look up solutions in books or on the net. Sometimes installing a vertical "air cushion" pipe will cure the problem.

Also, if you put a hot water copper pipe through too small a hole in a 2 by 4, you can get noise when the pipe expands/contracts.

Good luck with it.

Dave

·
Premium Member
16,804 Posts
I'm not a plunber, just had the same experience in the past.

This is sometimes called a "water hammer"

You can look up solutions in books or on the net. Sometimes installing a vertical "air cushion" pipe will cure the problem.

Also, if you put a hot water copper pipe through too small a hole in a 2 by 4, you can get noise when the pipe expands/contracts.

Good luck with it.

Dave

Air cushions are easy to install (or make) and make a big difference in reducing or eliminating water hammer. I replumbed my whole house, including new drain lines and vent stack a couple of years ago and it has worked flawlessly ever since.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts