The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a speaker related question. I picked up an '83 CSA (Canadian export) Marshall JCM 800 model 4104 (2x12 50 watt combo) a little while back. It's currently loaded with a pair of new-ish Celestion G12T-75's (8 ohms). The amp originally came with a pair of Celestion G12-65's. I'm ready to post want ads for a pair of era correct G12-65's, but was wondering if Marshall originally put 8 ohm or 16 ohm Celestions in their CSA 2x12 combos. I'd like to know before I begin my search.

If any member on this forum has this model of amp with original speakers, can you relay to me what ohms they are?

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,686 Posts
I have the 2203 head, not the combo, and use it with a 2x21 loaded with G12-75 Creambacks and love that combination. Not that that matters for your purposes.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Good luck finding the originals. It took me awhile to find mine. Ask for photos with the serial numbers. If they’re original they’ll probably be faded/hard to read.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Given I sold an 80's JCM800 412 with those speakers for less than $500, you should be able to find the JCM800 212 cab with those speakers, and then just swap them.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Regarding the G12-65 speakers- keep in mind there are a few different versions. I would avoid the versions with the 444 cones, those ones don't sound as good to me. Go for the 1777 cones.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Regarding the G12-65 speakers- keep in mind there are a few different versions. I would avoid the versions with the 444 cones, those ones don't sound as good to me. Go for the 1777 cones.
Yeah, I already knew about the 1777 being the one to get.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
I just found out that they were 8 ohms. Thanks!
Are you sure about this? That means you shouldn't plug in another cap while the internal speakers are in use (assuming it's wired for 4 ohm total).
Could someone have meant the pair is wired for a total of 8 ohms?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts