The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
I was just wandering if I was the only person that tunes there four string bass to a different tuning. I tune mine to a low D,G,C,F. I started this as I was jamming a long long while back with a buddy that tuned his Gibson ES 335 down a couple notches and he suggested I do the same to make it easier to follow him, I liked it so much the bass has never been tuned up to A=440 again.
So am I the only?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I just recently switched to 4 stringers after playing 5s for about 15 years.

Aside from the fact my band tunes down a half step, I keep one bass tuned EADG, and the other BEAD.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
hammer744 said:
Did you change the nut, or just widen the slots for the thicker guages?
I have since changed the nut. Initially, I just made the slot for the b string a bit wider by running the string through it a couple of times. Worked fine. Only took a few passes of the string to widen it enough. No need to get chisels and tools involved.

·
Registered
36 Posts
D-a-d-g

Although it's simple, I like the harmonic possibilites of DADG. I don't use a special string for the D, just drop the E down. Sometimes I'll go as low as a C, but it's pretty flabby at such low tension.

Chris

·
Registered
16 Posts
jar240 said:
Although it's simple, I like the harmonic possibilites of DADG. I don't use a special string for the D, just drop the E down. Sometimes I'll go as low as a C, but it's pretty flabby at such low tension.

Chris
Same here - "drop D" tuning. Effective in tunes where guitars are Open D tuning, DADGAD that kinda thing. That's about as low as I'll go with my bass. C is waaaay floppy.

DD

·
Registered
5 Posts
Depends on what I'm playing, playin' punk or the lighter metal(iron maiden, etc) I play standard usually, though I often find myself tuning to a dropped D for punk. And if I'm playing heavier stuff I'll tune DGCF. But no lower, 'cause with my strings and amp it sounds like shit.

:rockon2: :zzz: :rockon2: :zzz:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts