The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up a rather unusual/unique JCM 800 a few weeks ago. Just had it recapped a few days ago, and finally got around to taking pics of it earlier today for you guys to see.

What I have is a 1985 CSA JCM 800 model "1992" (100 watt bass model). After spending hours scouring the interwebs, I have not found another like this one.

Anomalies:
-Under the "JCM 800" print on the front panel, "BASS SERIES" is missing underneath.
-Back panel- left side is blank. Should have "MK II SUPER BASS 100w"
-These JCM 800 bass heads had "SLOPE" & "MID SWEEP" controls, mine has your standard guitar layout of "presence", "bass", "middle", "treble" & "volume I" & "volume II".
-These bass heads came with 2 inputs on the front, mine has 4..Similar to the 100 watt non-master (model 1959)
-Has a Baxandall tone stack.

My amp tech compared the amp with the model 1992 schematic, along with the model 1959 (100 watt non-master super lead) schematic..My amp seems to have features from both, which is unusual.

Anybody seen one like this before?

She sounds great by the way (with guitar). Classic Marshall hard rock tones straight in when cranked (nice cleans at lower volumes), and with a boost/OD in front, nails the old hard rock/early metal tones. Haven't tried it with bass yet, but my tech did in his shop and he said it sounded very good.

Pics:

·
Premium Member
8,514 Posts
All I know is that the 1985s and a portion of the 1986s had a cheaper grill cloth installed that ended up turning that beautiful brown. That's the extent of my knowledge when it comes to JCM800 (well, that and avoid the 2 channel reverb/fx loop combos) .

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Thats weird, every JCM800 I've seem says something under it like lead series or bass series, also those rocker switches look odd on the front left hand side of the panel. They all seem to have a square red indicator and one black rocker switch, on the left front

Was it made in France? i find it odd that its French first then English, lol

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats weird, every JCM800 I've seem says something under it like lead series or bass series, also those rocker switches look odd on the front left hand side of the panel. They all seem to have a square red indicator and one black rocker switch, on the left front
Yes, every one i've seen should have Lead Series or Bass Series, so mine is odd..But regarding the toggle switches and indicator light, those are correct for CSA Marshalls.

The only one I had like that (one rocker and one toggle) was on an '87 channel switcher model 2210

·
Premium Member
8,514 Posts
All you have to do is call or email marshall in the UK.

Their expert also happens to give the factory tour. I got to the bottom of some serious inquiry that required sending gut shots and a few calls.

You'll figure it out within a day or two.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,514 Posts
Not at all. I emailed Marshall late last night. No response yet, so in the meantime let's see if any other members have seen one like this.
Cool. I never know who ive offended in the past.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
Not necessarily. My early '84 2203 CSA model doesn't have anything printed there either. Maybe they didn't bother with that on the Canadian models for some reason?

My amp tech compared the amp with the model 1992 schematic, along with the model 1959 (100 watt non-master super lead) schematic..My amp seems to have features from both, which is unusual.

Post this over at the Marshall forum...someone there will know.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not necessarily. My early '84 2203 CSA model doesn't have anything printed there either. Maybe they didn't bother with that on the Canadian models for some reason
Every CSA JCM 800 head i've owned (about 20-25 thus far) has had print there. Your amp at least confirms mine's not the only one with a black rear plate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I picked up a rather unusual/unique JCM 800 a few weeks ago. Just had it recapped a few days ago, and finally got around to taking pics of it earlier today for you guys to see.

What I have is a 1985 CSA JCM 800 model "1992" (100 watt bass model). After spending hours scouring the interwebs, I have not found another like this one.

Anomalies:
-Under the "JCM 800" print on the front panel, "BASS SERIES" is missing underneath.
-These JCM 800 bass heads had "SLOPE" & "MID SWEEP" controls, mine has your standard guitar layout of "presence", "bass", "middle", "treble" & "volume I" & "volume II".
-These bass heads came with 2 inputs on the front, mine has 4..Similar to the 100 watt non-master (model 1959)
-Has a Baxandall tone stack.

She sounds great by the way (with guitar). Classic Marshall hard rock tones straight in when cranked (nice cleans at lower volumes), and with a boost/OD in front, nails the old hard rock/early metal tones. Haven't tried it with bass yet, but my tech did in his shop and he said it sounded very good.

Pics:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,
I have the same amp and can't find nothing about specs or why it is so different.
Did you received infos since.

Thank you.
Rémy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts