The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been playing fiddle tunes lately (I played them a lot 20 years ago but stopped for some reason) and I've been taking to them.

The gears started turning that I should rent a mandolin and be bad at more than one instrument.

L

·
0 Posts
I tried. The neck's too narrow and my fingers cramp up after 2 mins.
I've thought about getting a Squier mini and converting that into a mando.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Being a bass player first, I'm finally starting to be good on guitar after finding it way to small of an instrument to play...:eek: Now a Mandoline !!! :confused::confused::confused:

No F... way !!! ;)

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
I got one a couple of years ago and had about 5 songs going pretty good and could get some pickin happening but about a year ago I started playing electric so that kinda took over in addition to the acoustic stuff that I mainly do. Mandolin is fun and easy to sing with.

·
Registered
9,463 Posts
I had a ukulele at one point and could play a couple of tunes on it. It got lost in the shuffle when we moved. It’s quite easy to play.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
I love the sound of a mandolin and will, one day add that to the instruments I play.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Once I stopped playing cover songs from the 70'2 and 80's I put it away and then in the 90's sold them to a few friends and gave some away today would be impossible to play any of them anymore so glad that they found new homes mind you I recently found a couple that were up for sale on a mandolin site and were worth some cash good on them.

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
A lot.

I tried it as a teenager but didn't get along with it because I foolishly figured I could tune it like a guitar to make it easier. Dumb move. Didn't try it again until my early
IMG_7946.jpg
IMG_7946.jpg
30s when I borrowed a bandmate's mandolin. A little more savvy this time, I left it tuned GDAE.

My primary mandolin is a Moon flattop, maple back and sides, spruce top, and a few small changes like rounded off binding, Weber tailpiece, replacement solid bridge of rosewood and bone, Schaller machine heads. It gets taken places because it's easy to carry and we live in a guitarcentric world that's short on mandolins. Second is a Peter Cox 2 point archtop, cedar top, walnut back and sides. I also have a Joshua House octave/zouk/mando-cello guitar shaped thing, Gold Tone tenor banjo, and a Kala tenor guitar. All tuned in fifths.

I play a lot of my own stuff, arrangements of trad tunes, and lots of wanking. My mandolin recordings with groups are out of print now, except one, a recent fundraising project that has some mandolin.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A lot.

I tried it as a teenager but didn't get along with it because I foolishly figured I could tune it like a guitar to make it easier. Dumb move. Didn't try it again until my early View attachment 214489 View attachment 214489 30s when I borrowed a bandmate's mandolin. A little more savvy this time, I left it tuned GDAE.

My primary mandolin is a Moon flattop, maple back and sides, spruce top, and a few small changes like rounded off binding, Weber tailpiece, replacement solid bridge of rosewood and bone, Schaller machine heads. It gets taken places because it's easy to carry and we live in a guitarcentric world that's short on mandolins. Second is a Peter Cox 2 point archtop, cedar top, walnut back and sides. I also have a Joshua House octave/zouk/mando-cello guitar shaped thing, Gold Tone tenor banjo, and a Kala tenor guitar. All tuned in fifths.

I play a lot of my own stuff, arrangements of trad tunes, and lots of wanking. My mandolin recordings with groups are out of print now, except one, a recent fundraising project that has some mandolin.
Those are all really nice!

Yeah, it seems like there will always be lots of guitar players better than us, but if you have some mandolin chops, well that could open some doors.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
It took the David Grisman and Jerry Garcia albums for mandolin to really sink its teeth into me. Love that playing and that warm yet articulate recorded sound. Here's my "cheapo" Eastman 315, well, the only picture I have of it.

·
Registered
10,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It took the David Grisman and Jerry Garcia albums for mandolin to really sink its teeth into me. Love that playing and that warm yet articulate recorded sound. Here's my "cheapo" Eastman 315, well, the only picture I have of it.

I've known about those albums for years, but I've never checked them out. I really need to do that.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
There are many very decent mandolin players. Here is one of the best.

Reactions: butterknucket
1 - 20 of 24 Posts