The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got an ESP F-400 that's been scratched to death for bout $200 from a friend, and i'm thinking i should get it refinished. Is there a good place in Toronto where I can get this done? I'm not sure if chains like L&M and Steve's do this kinda thing, correct me if i'm wrong.

and any idea how much i'll be paying for a general strip/repaint/refinish? nothing fancy just a solid color.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I think that Brian Mascarin is considered THE MAN as far as refinishing guitars goes in Toronto. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that the wait time and cost are way up there as well.

You should contact him anyway though. Should give you an idea of what you're dealing with. I'm fairly certain that all of the shops have some way of getting guitars refinished. If they don't do it themselves, they'll have a guy that they usually give the work to.

·
Premium Member
1,285 Posts
Just to give you an idea of what the costs are, these are prices from a good Toronto guitar shop:

High gloss finish to Fender style body - $500.00 to $700.00
High gloss finish - Entire guitar - $1000.00 to $1500.00
Stripping and prepping ADD - $200.00 to $300.00

So it's not a cheap process. I've done quite a few my self and while I don't charge as much as they do, it would still be more than you paid for the guitar.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Re-Fin.

$1000-$1500 is this guy on glue ?? I've refinished many solid colour guitars in my time PRO style jobs,,and I charge $250-$400 for a "complete" Does he use Fender paint ?? lol !!!--Lenbone.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Try your local auto body shop. You do the prep work, mask off the parts that don't get painted and they will probably hit it for you for $50.00.

You may have to pick it up, colour sand and bring it back for clear coating.

It's the cheapest route if you can't do it yourself - and they can offer you a really wide range of nice finishes. I've done dozens like this over the years and never had a problem.

You will probably have to buff it yourself though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts