The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else but me own a Lado? I bought mine back in 1983 from Joe the owner at that time I was just a 18 year old punk kid who wanted a Flying V and that was the cheapest price at the time ($625.00) so off to Scarbourgh I go.

After 25 years and a long break from playing guitar I still have it along with the Granada Les Paul I started out on and the Fender MIM Strat I bought last year.

Come on all Lado owners post picks or come and have a look at the Lado Owners forum

·
Premium Member
16,524 Posts
I owned a Lado Super Falcon back in the early 80s (maybe late 70s).

It ws a neck through guitar with a number of nice woods laminated together. There was a fair bit of birdseye maple.

It also featured an active preamp of some sort.

Nice guitar.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Paul for posting that for me. As you can see there are my 3 guitars, the Granada Les Paul, the Fender Strat and my Lado flying V. All 3 I bought brand new and still have them, back in the early 80's I bought a Iceman copy from a music store near by called Hudson Music (its not there anymore) for $200 that didn't last long in one piece. After i stripped it down I noticed it was made from plywood

·
Premium Member
2,967 Posts
I once had 7 or 8 Lados, and they were fantastic guitars. I think the high end stuff is right up there with the boutique brands in terms of craftsmanship, but it will never have the same value. Which is good, because you can get some killer deals on those Lados, and they really are killer underrated guitars.........

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Back in the mid 80's I used to have a black finished Lado with an Explorer type body. The neck and body were all one piece, very well made guitar but it wasn't "me" so to speak. I ended up selling it to my ex-bandmate. (The one that doesn't care for jazz.) :smile:

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
When I first moved to Ontario in 1988 I traded an Ibanez Proline V for a Lado Hawk. It was the first guitar that I owned with a Kahler tremolo, but the guitar was made of plywood.

Here is a pic of it circa 1988:

·
Premium Member
2,967 Posts
When I first moved to Ontario in 1988 I traded an Ibanez Proline V for a Lado Hawk. It was the first guitar that I owned with a Kahler tremolo, but the guitar was made of plywood.
Hawks were imports that were Lado in name only.............

·
Registered
14,568 Posts
It was the first guitar that I owned with a Kahler tremolo, but the guitar was made of plywood.
Well that's better than particle board!

When I taught I had a student who had a particle board guitar--it was horrible. The output jack tore out very soon after he got it. He later switched to a cheap Les Paul copy that looked like my real Les Paul--but I suspect that one was plywood. It was miles ahead of the particle board guitar.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Actually, the voidless music grade plywood that I have seen is more expensive than some of the traditional body woods. The Hawk played pretty good, and didn't sound bad at all. It was just the stigma of owning a plywood guitar that at the time turned me off.

I remember at the time thinking that it was like finding out that your girlfriend used to be a guy.

Well that's better than particle board!

When I taught I had a student who had a particle board guitar--it was horrible. The output jack tore out very soon after he got it. He later switched to a cheap Les Paul copy that looked like my real Les Paul--but I suspect that one was plywood. It was miles ahead of the particle board guitar.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I used to have one of their guitars that resembled and Explorer.

Seems to me it was called the 'Earth Model' but don't hold me to that. I saw Adrian Smith playing one and HAD to get one. It was a really good guitar.

here is a doubleneck that is rather interesting.

·
Premium Member
9,724 Posts
Wow, a TL80! Very nice...Joe always had a good eye for nice woods.

I have an old Lado Supra (hair metal super strat, kinda like a Jackson Soloist minus ebony fretboard) that Joe made me in 1988. Its the red one in the middle of the pic.
great player, I take it to Joe for a tuneup in Lindsay every couple years, but he's more focussed on teaching now then manufacturing. I think he gets his students to do a lot of work for him and he checks it out afterwards and sells them...Nothing wrong with that, my dentist takes credit for the work that his hygenist does as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I used to own a Canadian Classic superstrat, it was a neck thu body 24 fret ebony neck with sharkfin inlays. a bill lawrence humbucker in the neck and a duncan JB in the bridge, ORIGINAL FLOYD ROSE, blue burst finish, wht a gorgeous guitar.

Sold it because I was an idiot....

1 - 20 of 122 Posts