The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This might belong in the building/repair section, so please feel free to move it mods.

I was wondering if there would be any interest here in a forum-wide build off. Not really a competition, just a little project to see people’s creative differences. Just hear me out;

Each person would start with one of these:

And the end goal is that everyone starts with the same blank slate and we see where artistic freedom takes us.

The result will hopefully be an instrument that you can knock around on the weekend while having a beer.

I figure the guitar is $120, then we take $80 and see what we can turn the instrument into. A total outlay of $200 max, and you can use parts from your parts bin, tools required won’t count towards your total.

There are lots of sources for parts like pickguards, new electronics. You could try your hand at fretwork. Maybe refinish or try relicing the guitar. Strip the finish from the back of the neck and oil it. Learn how to do your own setups. Push yourself to learn some new skills that you can use later in your guitar playing journey. Hopefully you end up with an instrument that plays better than expected.

*I’ve owned one of these strats from Bestbuy before, and I’m not gonna tell you it’s a pre-CBS strat, but it’s got potential, and you won’t have to worry about beating it up.*

Just trying to gauge interest and see if anyone would possibly like to give it a go? Of course we would all agree upon rules and end date, and any other info would be voted upon. Hoping to see some enthusiasm! Nothing better in the winter than a build to scratch that itch. Maybe you can earn some bragging rights?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good luck getting some engagement. Often easier to heard cats than run an organized online happening.
Yeah, that’s what I was thinking, but I figured it couldn’t hurt to throw it out there. I’ve seen this type of thing on other forums before, so I was interested to see if anyone else would want to participate.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I've never taken a guitar apart but have wanted to. I'm in, it would a great way to learn more and would be fun. I build model cars as a hobby and we do this all the time on forums and at clubs.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never taken a guitar apart but have wanted to. I'm in, it would a great way to learn more and would be fun. I build model cars as a hobby and we do this all the time on forums and at clubs.
That’s great to hear! I’m glad to see some interest, and maybe it could pique the interest of a few other members.

I was also thinking that people could instead choose a guitar that they want to modify and use that instead of the example I provided; people might have more interest if they can participate with a $50 used squier or similar.

·
Registered
24,706 Posts
That, my friend, is simply gorgeous.

What is the 5th control with the small knob for, pray tell?

As for modding/hotrodding a cheap buy, it sounds like fun, but I already have about 6-8 such piles of "fun" to get to already. So I'll leave my own personal pile at that.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, I’ve got a few maybes, some yes’. I’ve had a bit more time to think, and here’s a bit more refinement in the idea:

Instead of everyone starting with the Bestbuy strat, we can choose to buy a used guitar or provide one that you already own and want to mod.

We can have a maximum budget of $200;

-if you already have a guitar to work with, simply subtract $50 from the budget and start with a max budget of $150 for parts.

- if you buy a guitar on the used market (ex: squier strat for $40) start with a max budget of $160.

-if you want to participate, but can’t find a good guitar used, the Bestbuy strat would make a good default and leave you with a budget of $80 for parts.

The goal is to see who can come up with the best guitar on a minimal budget.

If you have any ideas or suggestions, I’d love to hear them. Even if you’re not planning on participating, I’d like to hear from you if you have any tips or suggestions that might make more people want to participate.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Fun idea and one I'd like to join in on but I just don't have the spare time right now (I've been wanting to change strings on my two guitars for months now and still haven't had time to even do that!) but I'll be following along!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fun idea and one I'd like to join in on but I just don't have the spare time right now (I've been wanting to change strings on my two guitars for months now and still haven't had time to even do that!) but I'll be following along!
We haven’t set a date or anything yet; we could even leave it completely open-ended if that’s what people prefer.

I’m sure progress will be slow moving, but this is meant for a bit of fun in the end. If you change your mind a few months from now, don’t hesitate to dive in!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmm. It seems as though there’s a good bit of interest in a project like this, but It’s an inconvenient time for a lot of people. Perhaps we’d be better off waiting a few months and thinking about it again.

And thinking on it now, I do have some other things that the money could be better used towards; it’s fun to think about stuff like this though, and maybe down the road when people have a bit of free time we can revisit the idea.

Thanks for the opinions and ideas, folks!

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Not being into strats at this time, that particular guitar doesn't appeal. If it was a tele or hollow body, the idea would be more interesting to me.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts