The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
9,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bad ES-335 GAS but can't really justify buying one at the moment. I can afford it, I just can't really justify it as I am only a home player so do not need a guitar that is that expensive. I already have an acoustic, a Tele, and an SG Standard (currently having the nut that was on there for slide replaced with a normal nut for standard playing) so do I really need a fourth guitar? I won't even get into the fact that my playing certainly doesn't warrant owning something as expensive or nice as a 335 (but I am starting a new session of lessons next month with an old friend who is a great player so I am hoping that those lessons will help me to improve to a point that might make me worthy of a 335).

But we all know how GAS works so I am now considering a Midtown Custom. It isn't exactly the same as an ES-335 but is close enough that I figure it will scratch my itch. Plus, I tried a couple when they were new in stores and remember liking them so I am fairly certain that I could be happy with one.

Before I start a serious search for one I was wondering if there were any owners here and, if so, whether they could tell me what they think of their Midtown Customs? How is the quality? What about the sound and playability (subjective, I know)?

Epiphone Sheratons are another option, as are Gibson ES-339s (a little small though, I think), but for now I am thinking of the Midtowns so would welcome any info or opinions from owners.

·
Administrator
16,485 Posts
Can't comment on the Midtowns but I've owned a few 335 clones, including 3 Epi Sheratons. 2 of them, including the one I still have, were MIK's, and the other a recent MIC. All were very nice guitars although I still pine for my '89 MIK that I modded. These are a really great way to get into a 335 style guitar for very little cash outlay. Play it first of course. Pup upgrades can be done, although not easily, but the stock pups are pretty good.

·
Premium Member
17,623 Posts

Am I correct in my understanding that the body is solid mahogany that has been chambered and has a maple cap?

I am so old and traditional that I'll need some time to adjust.

Nice that there is easy access to the controls. BONUS!!

·
Registered
9,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't comment on the Midtowns but I've owned a few 335 clones, including 3 Epi Sheratons. 2 of them, including the one I still have, were MIK's, and the other a recent MIC. All were very nice guitars although I still pine for my '89 MIK that I modded. These are a really great way to get into a 335 style guitar for very little cash outlay. Play it first of course. Pup upgrades can be done, although not easily, but the stock pups are pretty good.

There aren't any Midtowns available through L&M so out of curiosity I had them check for 335s. There is one available for $1900 at Bloor but it is on hold for their attic sale. There was another one out west for $2100 but a customer had money on that. My pal at my local store is going to keep his eyes open to see if he can find something in that range.

But as I said in the OP, while I can afford a 335 I don't think that my current level of playing ability really warrants a guitar like that especially when I already have two electrics and an acoustic. If these lessons with that old friend get me where I want to go then fine, but I am certainly not there yet.

A Sheraton seems like a good idea. They are decent 335 style guitars and don't cost much. There are some available on the local Kijiji for $600 or less (a couple of MIKs and some MICs) and there is one at an L&M out west for $450. But my concern is that I would continue to pine for a 335 or a Midtown. Maybe I just have to accept the fact that my current talent level doesn't warrant my champagne tastes and get a Sheraton that I can enjoy for a year or whatever and then move that along when my playing justifies the purchase of a 335.

·
Registered
9,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Am I correct in my understanding that the body is solid mahogany that has been chambered and has a maple cap?

I am so old and traditional that I'll need some time to adjust.

Nice that there is easy access to the controls. BONUS!!

Yes, it is solid mahogany in the 335 shape (but slightly smaller) that is then hollowed out and a cap is put on. That cap is flat, unlike the top of a 335.

·
Administrator
16,485 Posts
There aren't any Midtowns available through L&M so out of curiosity I had them check for 335s. There is one available for $1900 at Bloor but it is on hold for their attic sale. There was another one out west for $2100 but a customer had money on that. My pal at my local store is going to keep his eyes open to see if he can find something in that range.

But as I said in the OP, while I can afford a 335 I don't think that my current level of playing ability really warrants a guitar like that especially when I already have two electrics and an acoustic. If these lessons with that old friend get me where I want to go then fine, but I am certainly not there yet.

A Sheraton seems like a good idea. They are decent 335 style guitars and don't cost much. There are some available on the local Kijiji for $600 or less (a couple of MIKs and some MICs) and there is one at an L&M out west for $450. But my concern is that I would continue to pine for a 335 or a Midtown. Maybe I just have to accept the fact that my current talent level doesn't warrant my champagne tastes and get a Sheraton that I can enjoy for a year or whatever and then move that along when my playing justifies the purchase of a 335.
If you pick up a good condition used Sheraton you likely won't lose any money when/if you decide to sell it.

·
Registered
9,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you pick up a good condition used Sheraton you likely won't lose any money when/if you decide to sell it.

True, good point.

When I was in L&M I noticed an Ibanez hollow body. I didn't like the gold hardware or the quilted top but picked it up anyway. The neck on that thing was amazing. I couldn't believe how much I liked it.

·
Premium Member
17,623 Posts
..my current talent level doesn't warrant my champagne ....and then move that along when my playing justifies the purchase of a 335.
How do you know when your playing will justify the purchase?
If ever...really...I'm proof of that...LOL

If you really want an es-335, buy one. It doesnt matter that you play at home.
I'm with Budda.

If you can afford it, get it.

Now I need to stand in front of a mirror and repeat that 500 times.

To be fair, I have virtually he same thoughts and approach as you (i.e., feeling unworthy or not deserving due to lack of talent or whatever) I think I was born with it. I dislike it and I'm trying to fight it.

·
Registered
9,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you remember the model of this Ibanez hollow body ?

I tried one of these at a local L&M and played it through a new Roland JC 40. Sounded very warm and smokey and felt comfortable.

No, I barely glanced at the price ticket. I just remember that it cost in the $600-$700 range. I'll be back in there on Friday or Saturday though and will check the model then.

·
Mad Strappier
531 Posts
I have a 335, but it is one of my least played guitars. I love it, but it's not comfy like home to me too big.
I think the IBZ or 336/339 would be more suited for me.

Check out the rondo AS offerings too... wait for the dollar to rise a bit...

Reactions: sambonee

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I would buy a Gibson Midtown Customs just for the simple reason of where they placed the top strap button.
To me, that's a game changer for a 335 style guitar.
For those that have the traditional strap button behind the neck will know what I mean.

G.

·
Administrator
16,485 Posts
I would buy a Gibson Midtown Customs just for the simple reason of where they placed the top strap button.
To me, that's a game changer for a 335 style guitar.
For those that have the traditional strap button behind the neck will know what I mean.

G.
VERY good point!

·
Administrator
16,485 Posts
True, good point.

When I was in L&M I noticed an Ibanez hollow body. I didn't like the gold hardware or the quilted top but picked it up anyway. The neck on that thing was amazing. I couldn't believe how much I liked it.
Ibanez is a very good alternative.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts