The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Telecaster & 339
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suggestions?
I'm looking to add locking tuners to an Epiphone 339.
...but I don't really want to spend what I paid for the guitar!
Theoretically I love the simplicity and compact/discreet design of the Gotoh Locking Magnum Tuner design, but I dunno if they sill make 'em.

Willing to go to a black colour, but want to stay with the original screw holes on the back.

·
Premium Member
832 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
I was a bit agnostic about locking tuners before but the ones on my Firebird work well. Put new strings on it last night and when I came home today it was still bang on in tune with a Peterson strobe except 2 strings that had gone slightly flat. Seems that not having to let the windings settle really helps.

·
Registered
Telecaster & 339
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was a bit agnostic about locking tuners before but the ones on my Firebird work well. Put new strings on it last night and when I came home today it was still bang on in tune with a Peterson strobe except 2 strings that had gone slightly flat. Seems that not having to let the windings settle really helps.
I hear ya. I'm looking because I have an ongoing issue keeping the G string in tune on that guitar. Yup, I'm winding it properly.. it's getting tedious.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Or the nut height on the G.

I find on all my electrics that the G is most finicky for tuning but once I got the slots filed on my tele it tunes up the best of them next is the Firebird after I filed the G nut slot on it although both of those guitars are straight pull.

·
Registered
Telecaster & 339
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Or the nut height on the G.

I find on all my electrics that the G is most finicky for tuning but once I got the slots filed on my tele it tunes up the best of them next is the Firebird after I filed the G nut slot on it although both of those guitars are straight pull.
Interesting idea. I checked overall nut height on the E when I got it, never thought about individual strings.... ok, I'll check it, thanks.

·
Registered
Telecaster & 339
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Or the nut height on the G. I find on all my electrics that the G is most finicky for tuning but once I got the slots filed on my tele it tunes up the best of them next is the Firebird after I filed the G nut slot on it although both of those guitars are straight pull.
Interesting idea. I checked overall nut height on the E when I got it, never thought about individual strings.... ok, I'll check it, thanks.
Bingo. Thanks Wardo.
I would have overlooked this because I'd checked the nut height a while back.
But feel is always better than a gauge, and the feel was indeed off.
I opted for Roger Brainard's touch method for determining nut height vs a gauge this time.

Started with a file @~600 but wound up using a simple thin slice of 320 sandpaper.
It's a minuscule amount down but it made all the difference.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts