The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Represented as a custom shop “holoflake” black. No papers. All the models I can find are USA early 90s. This one clearly says made in Japan and owner states it’s 1988. Anyone with more knowledge than me shed some light ?
Orange Picture frame Wood Musical instrument Flooring

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument accessory String instrument

Wood Wood stain Tints and shades Drink Font

Musical instrument String instrument Sports equipment String instrument Guitar accessory

White Light Black Guitar accessory Neck

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
There is no such thing as a Japan Fender Custom Shop.

Reactions: JRtele

·
Registered
40 Posts
Love the tele string tree, must been stock, that one. I actually like it on a strat, don't run strings through them though...

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
There is no such thing as a Japan Fender Custom Shop.
Actually there was,... sort of. There was a separate entity within Fender Japan that was somewhat of an equivalent to the American Custom Shop. It was headed up by Scott Zimmerman, a long time designer/master builder who's association with Fender goes back to the 70's. They produced the higher end "ExTrad" line as well as numerous prototypes and one-off celebrity builds.
As for the guitar in question, all indicators point to a late 1980's ST-54 with some mods (pickguard and bridge pickup) and if it truly is metallic, it's likely a refin. The ST-54 came in black but just plain black as far as I know.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually there was,... sort of. There was a separate entity within Fender Japan that was somewhat of an equivalent to the American Custom Shop. It was headed up by Scott Zimmerman, a long time designer/master builder who's association with Fender goes back to the 70's. They produced the higher end "ExTrad" line as well as numerous prototypes and one-off celebrity builds.
As for the guitar in question, all indicators point to a late 1980's ST-54 with some mods (pickguard and bridge pickup) and if it truly is metallic, it's likely a refin. The ST-54 came in black but just plain black as far as I know.
This is the goods right here.

This is why this place is good 👍

1 - 9 of 9 Posts