The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a subscriber (paper copy) to Guitar Player Magazine for many years now.

I know the information is all on the internet, but receiviong that new issue every month is still enjoyable and makes great reading material in the Loo.

I don't collect them. Every January I toss out the 12 issues from last year.

Anybody else?

Publication Sleeve Poster Tie Advertising

·
Premium Member
28,369 Posts
I probably should have, given how many hundreds of dollars have gone down the toilet by buying every issue at Loblaws (the only place I've been able to find it, in recent years). I have shelves and shelves of back issues of both GP and Vintage Guitar, with many GP issues back to the '70s. At some point, I suppose I will be forced to remove them, but for now I enjoy flipping through them from time to time. Remarkable how many gear companies have come and gone.

·
Premium Member
21,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I probably should have, given how many hundreds of dollars have gone down the toilet by buying every issue at Loblaws (the only place I've been able to find it, in recent years). I have shelves and shelves of back issues of both GP and Vintage Guitar, with many GP issues back to the '70s. At some point, I suppose I will be forced to remove them, but for now I enjoy flipping through them from time to time. Remarkable how many gear companies have come and gone.

I stopped hoarding them when I realized I had several boxes (each containing a complete year) full which I had not looked at in years.

I'd be happy to give each year away but, full disclosure, they have all been in close proximity to my politician extruder.

You would definitely save money by subscribing.

I think a year costs me around $16. CAD.

·
Registered
261 Posts
My parents sent up a box of music stuff a couple of years ago, amidst old strings, picks and cables , were some old 80’s/90’s issues of various guitar magazines. It was fun to look at the ads, see the gear and how advertising of that era was targeted, and the change that was happening as 80’s hair bands popularity drifted towards grunge. Interesting and nostalgic.

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
I have a subscription to Guitarist but not this one. Maybe I should check it out. I get them electronically delivered on the iPad so I read them on that device.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for this post! I remember the good 'ol days in the 80s of learning to use tab etc. I just subscribed for three years to Guitar World, same company, (probably a nostalgia hit) at a ridiculously low price. However, in my late 50s, I'm not much into a lot of the content, must be a generational thang ... yeah I hear the chorus of OK Boomer ;-) But I like receiving them for the same reason you do; something to look at. They recently had a subscriber poll and I let them know that the print was too small ... feck ... I still hate having to admit I need glasses to read ;-) But what I do like is that I get the content in magazine format before it goes online here, where all their mags have their content: https://www.guitarworld.com/

·
Registered
12,347 Posts
I was a subscriber back in the 90's to early 2000's, but lost interest.

I haven't looked at the magazine for many years now, but I felt the magazine had really declined during the last while of my subscription.

My opinion

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Subscribed in the '70s, then again for periods later. I sold or gave them away if they accumulated, the early ones appeared on the used book market and a friend bought them. Once in a rare while I still pick up a copy.

The only guitar thing I subscribe to now is Fretboard Journal.

·
Premium Member
28,369 Posts
I was a subscriber back in the 90's to early 2000's, but lost interest.

I haven't looked at the magazine for many years now, but I felt the magazine had really declined during the last while of my subscription.

My opinion
There's a different editor now. The magazine has a slightly different feel to it, compared to 15 years ago. Not that it was a "bad" magazine then-compared-to-now, but you may find you like it again. The feature articles strike me as being longer, and the issues seem to have more focus, such that a theme has multiple connected articles.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
I use the Libby app to read a digital copy from my public library. I don't read every issue, but it does bring be back to waiting for the tabs in the back of the magazine every month as a teen.

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
There's a different editor now. The magazine has a slightly different feel to it, compared to 15 years ago. Not that it was a "bad" magazine then-compared-to-now, but you may find you like it again. The feature articles strike me as being longer, and the issues seem to have more focus, such that a theme has multiple connected articles.
I picked up a e-subscription for $26.00 for a year. Not a lot of money.

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
Pretty sure I just paid $16 for a years subscriptiion of the hard copy, which includes the Electronic version.

Still even $26 is just over $2 a month. What do they cost at the news stand now?
That's a steal. I think I saw them for $10.99 at Shoppers.

Edit: I use the Zino app so all my magazine subscriptions are in one place. Plus, you can pinch to zoom if you want.

·
Premium Member
21,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's a steal. I think I saw them for $10.99 at Shoppers.

Edit: I use the Zino app so all my magazine subscriptions are in one place. Plus, you can pinch to zoom if you want.

I'll say one thing. My subscription had apparently expired and I stopped receiving my editions for a few months.

After being a subscriber for decades, I received no notice or offer to renew.

I had to search and find a subscription link.

Not much of a customer retention department.

·
Premium Member
28,369 Posts
I picked up a e-subscription for $26.00 for a year. Not a lot of money.
I'm a paper copy guy. Can't stand reading e-mags, e-books, and the like. I miss being able to buy a newsstand copy of Premier Guitar. It only comes electronically in this town, so I haven't read a copy in several years. I'd certainly like to, but I can't.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
My parents sent up a box of music stuff a couple of years ago, amidst old strings, picks and cables , were some old 80’s/90’s issues of various guitar magazines. It was fun to look at the ads, see the gear and how advertising of that era was targeted, and the change that was happening as 80’s hair bands popularity drifted towards grunge. Interesting and nostalgic.
I have a couple boxes of late 80's into 90's guitar mags at my dads (if he hasn't pitched them)

I can remember waiting for the new issue to see which songs they transcribed! I also remember being heartbroken when there was nothing we wanted to learn! ha, ha..

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have a couple boxes of late 80's into 90's guitar mags at my dads (if he hasn't pitched them)

I can remember waiting for the new issue to see which songs they transcribed! I also remember being heartbroken when there was nothing we wanted to learn! ha, ha..
The funny thing was trying to figure out tabs to songs you never heard. Pre internet, if you or a buddy didn’t have it on tape, or it wasn’t on the radio, you just had to guess At what it was supposed to sound like. All good fun, and at 12-13 years old, we didn’t really care. We were budding rock gods lol

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
I'm a paper copy guy. Can't stand reading e-mags, e-books, and the like. I miss being able to buy a newsstand copy of Premier Guitar. It only comes electronically in this town, so I haven't read a copy in several years. I'd certainly like to, but I can't.
Yup. I’m definitely in the minority for most things in life for my age group. I don’t like bare wood necks, don’t care for SGs, think the Les Paul Jr is overpriced and ugly and I enjoy reading on my tablet. I’m an anomaly.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts