The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
money-pink floyd, has a good bass riff. Also try crazy train, both the guitar part on bass and the bass part.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
^^ yeah simple 12 bar blues pattern is a good one to learn.

·
Registered
885 Posts
In addition to a basic 12 bar blues, may I suggest the following tunes;

SRV - Mary Had A Little Lamb
Johnny Winter - Third Degree
Buddy Guy - Messin' With The Kid
SRV - Pride and Joy
Allman Bros. - Stormy Monday
Johnny Winter - Blue Mood
SRV - Ain't Gonna Give Up On Love
Roy Buchanan - I'm a Ram
Bruce Cockburn - Barrellhouse
Any medium tempo version of Summertime

Of course there are tons of tunes to choose from, but I particularily like these because they introduce to the beginner different styles, some bass licks, and more interesting and challenging (but not over the top) chord progressions. You may have trouble finding some of these tunes on the net. If you're interested, I can send them.

Have fun,

Lawrie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Depends on the style you're into. Though I agree with all posts so far. If you're into punk try Sum 41's Fat Lip. Pretty simple, you need a little speed, but not a heck of a lot. Just about any punk song is good for beginners, 'cause they are usually pretty simple. But if you really wanna learn the instrument, learn some blues songs.

·
Registered
737 Posts
The one bass player that really helped me progress was the late John Entwistle of The Who. Listen to 'The Real Me' on Quadrophenia, it's fairly simple, (umm, maybe not), but you will be all over the board, lots of fast fingering.

I agree with previous posts about 12-bar blues, these are the basic riffs of R&R and will fit anywhere if you can't remember how the song goes that you are playing. Like ZZ's 'Tush', I find it boring so I throw in a blues/boogie riff sometimes. The Blues Brothers album is a good one too.

Another of my influences is Tim Bogert of Vanilla Fudge fame, I prefer his work with 'Cactus'. "Evil' is awsome, I think I'll let that play in my head for the rest of the day!

Oh! You're a Zep fan. Moby Dick, try that.

Mich

·
Registered
219 Posts
You might try things from a hand position point of view:

1. second finger root, three-fret box (country boogie scale/Johnny B Goode)
2. first finger root, two fret box, (minor pentatonic)
3. Pinky root, two fret box (down) on next string, with gliss up to No. 2
above (minor pentatonic)
4. First finger root, two fret box with gliss immediately on same string up to
major III (major pentatonic) Duck Dunn style.
5. Country I's and V's, first finger root

Have fun!

Peter

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
A site that really helped me out is called activebass.com ..the site seems to be down today though.

What they have is every type of music seperated into levels from beginner to advance. You pick the style then it gives you hundreds of options of riffs, once you choose one it will open and then you can listen, loop, adjust speed and choose type of bass and style..finger, electric, pick etc..

These are riffs people post not from recorded music, it will keep you busy for hours and hours.. One tip, if you really like a riff write down the name so you can find it again later..they tend to disapear as new ones come in.

Bev

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would be interested!!

In addition to a basic 12 bar blues, may I suggest the following tunes;

SRV - Mary Had A Little Lamb
Johnny Winter - Third Degree
Buddy Guy - Messin' With The Kid
SRV - Pride and Joy
Allman Bros. - Stormy Monday
Johnny Winter - Blue Mood
SRV - Ain't Gonna Give Up On Love
Roy Buchanan - I'm a Ram
Bruce Cockburn - Barrellhouse
Any medium tempo version of Summertime

Of course there are tons of tunes to choose from, but I particularily like these because they introduce to the beginner different styles, some bass licks, and more interesting and challenging (but not over the top) chord progressions. You may have trouble finding some of these tunes on the net. If you're interested, I can send them.

Have fun,

Lawrie
I saw your list and if they are tabs I would be interested in taking your offer up too, I recently picked up the guitar for the first time in 30 yrs and even when I did play ot was like three chord punk.:eek:
My ten yr old son started taking lessons last year and we are both playing and learning together.
If you could send them it would be much appreciated.:bow:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks!

A site that really helped me out is called activebass.com ..the site seems to be down today though.

What they have is every type of music seperated into levels from beginner to advance. You pick the style then it gives you hundreds of options of riffs, once you choose one it will open and then you can listen, loop, adjust speed and choose type of bass and style..finger, electric, pick etc..

These are riffs people post not from recorded music, it will keep you busy for hours and hours.. One tip, if you really like a riff write down the name so you can find it again later..they tend to disapear as new ones come in.

Bev
Thanks for the tip, the site is up and running and I saved it to my favourites as my son and I are learning Bass and Guitar.:bow:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts