The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know of Stoney Creek Choppers but I've never been there. Any recommendations? I'm buying a Harley, the nearest dealer seems to be N-O-T-L, I'd like to find someone close by for routine maintenance and mods. Cheers

L

·
0 Posts
The beauty about HD's are that most every part
is interchangeable throughout models/years.
Buy a shop manual and do your own work.

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
There's a repair shop within walking distance of my house. 1230 Main st E Hamilton

Reactions: Tim Plains

·
Registered
12,910 Posts
The beauty about HD's are that most every part
is interchangeable throughout models/years.
Buy a shop manual and do your own work.
Try to put 2013 Glide parts on a 2000 Glide and see what happens. If he's buying new then wait until the warranty wears off.

·
Registered
12,910 Posts
I know of Stoney Creek Choppers but I've never been there. Any recommendations? I'm buying a Harley, the nearest dealer seems to be N-O-T-L, I'd like to find someone close by for routine maintenance and mods. Cheers
What are you planing to buy? I found a '56 Servi-car in B.C. so I have to sell the Shovel.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Electraglide, they only offer the Iron with an 883. I wrote I'm hoping for a factory 1200, so no warranty voiding. Fat chance they'll offer it but my fingers are crossed. I also learned today that Oakville is getting a Harley dealership this summer. I'll buy a 2017 if they give deals on opening day.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I went to the Harley Davidson museum in Milwaukee, it was pretty amazing

and I don't even own one. I think it would be a must-visit for anyone into Harley's. They have kept a mint model from nearly every year of manufacturing, and they're all on display

link:

Visit the Harley-Davidson Museum® | Harley-Davidson USA

·
Registered
12,910 Posts
@Electraglide, they only offer the Iron with an 883. I wrote I'm hoping for a factory 1200, so no warranty voiding. Fat chance they'll offer it but my fingers are crossed. I also learned today that Oakville is getting a Harley dealership this summer. I'll buy a 2017 if they give deals on opening day.
1200 Sportster Custom is probably as close as you'll get.

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
There is a full size showroom and shop on Parkdale in Hamilton. I forget the name but the showroom and shop are massive

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Buy a Honda. You will need a mechanic a lot less.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Yup 'cause after a year it breaks down and the parts to repar it are not available so you have to buy a new one. Try and find parts for a 5 year old honda.
You've got to be kidding me. You know better than that. Harley's poor reputation is known by everyone who has had any real interest in motorcycles over the years and I know you are no exception.

Yamaha was cited as the most reliable motorcycle brand, BMW the least reliable, and Harley-Davidson next to BMW in reliability issues.

Another report on reliability......

What began as a battle of the motorcycle brands to show who makes the most reliable motorcycle has resulted in a nationalist showdown. Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, and Kawasaki are all among the more reliable brands, based on our survey of more than 11,000 Consumer Reports subscribers. The predicted failure rates for four-year-old motorcycles ranged from 11 to 15 percent in this group.

The domestic brands Victory and Harley-Davidson fell in between the extremes, with 17 and 26 percent, respectively.

The remaining brands—Triumph, Ducati, BMW, and Can-Am—were among the more trouble-prone. In fact, BMW and Canada-based Can-Am are both estimated to have failure rates of around 40 percent by the fourth year of ownership.

Reliablity by brand
Brand Percent failed
Yamaha/Star 11%
Suzuki 12
Honda 12
Kawasaki 15
Victory 17
Harley-Davidson 26%
Triumph 29
Ducati 33
BMW 40
Can-Am 42