The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have one, I'd like to see some pics please!! Essentially an SG Junior with a humbucker instead of a P90 in the bridge, the Summer Beach colors have tickled my desire to find one of these babies and perhaps eventually own one. They were produced in 1998, and are now discontinued.

If anyone has one they'd be willing to part with, most especially in the Summer Beach colors, I'd like to know! (I'll post a thread sometime soon in the For Sale/Trade forum)

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Well, it did go through a number of incarnations with basically the same format. I had a 1988 SG "Double" that was basically the same as the later SG-Z/SG-X except that it had a locking nut & Steinberger floating bridge and an angled stacked humbucker neck pickup. It also had a bound ebony 24-fret board with split-diamond inlays. Metallic green paint (more like teal actually) with a white pearloid pickguard.

I got rid of it a couple years ago because I hated the neck. It was a very thin profile - thinner than any SG I've ever played. It was also hacked up a bit - the locking nut had been removed & the bridge was non-functional (not my doing...I bought it used). I think it might have been re-finished too. It played fine & stayed in tune as well as any SG - I just didn't like the neck.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nine said:
I think the lack of replies just proved why this guitar only lasted a year. :banana:
Eh, I suppose. But I kind of dig the pink on the SG :tongue: Anyways, after having no luck on fleabay, gbase or anywhere else, I caved in and bought this instead.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Niiiiiiiiiiice..... Is that a new Standard? A lot of people complain about the QC on newer Gibsons, but I haven't played a newer SG that didn't feel good with a pro setup.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I love that white SG they have at 12th Fret. I have a white custom shop one myself:

I also own that purple/burgundy mist one they had at 12th Fret a while back.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
^^
rofl i use the same picks as you:banana:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nine said:
I also own that purple/burgundy mist one they had at 12th Fret a while back.
I'd love to see how that one looks :eek:

The white SG Standard was a special order, and they only had one available. On the day that the 12th fret received that guitar, I stumbled across it on their site and immediately placed a hold on it. Music123.com has the white SGs available, and they are supposedly exclusive only to their store, but I would hate to know what the shipping would cost. That's why I picked this up right away, as I was surprised that a local dealer managed to get one :)

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yeah, white doesn't come up very often. Here's a picture of the "sunset metallic" SG in all of its slightly emasculating glory:

It's an '88 SG Elite and originally came with a locking thingo behind the nut and the adjustable tailpiece, but I took those off. The fretboard is ebony and the bridge pickup has a coil split, which is what that switch is for.

http://www.everythingsg.com/identify/sg_elite.htm

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nine said:
Yeah, white doesn't come up very often. Here's a picture of the "sunset metallic" SG in all of its slightly emasculating glory:

Now if you have that, what the hell is wrong with pink? :D LOL, kidding. I'm definitely becoming a fan of the 12th fret. I bought my acoustic and now the white SG from that store. They get some really crazy stuff there, which is horrible for someone with a bad case of GAS, but with no means to afford it all :tongue:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Cross said:
I'm definitely becoming a fan of the 12th fret. I bought my acoustic and now the white SG from that store. They get some really crazy stuff there, which is horrible for someone with a bad case of GAS, but with no means to afford it all :tongue:
(hehe) That's why I'm glad 12th Fret is in Ontario and I'm in Newfoundland. I haven't been up there in a few years, but the last time I was in that shop it was VERY dangerous. At the time there was a purple Plexi (or was it a 2204?) half stack there. Crazy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts