The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Maybe it sounds great, I dunno. With guitars like that though I can never decide to play it or hang it on the wall as a piece of art! :confused:

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Well, I'm a friend of the guy who's making 'em. I've got two in the house right now. They play and sound fine. I dig their rustic, rough-hewn appearance but of course that sort of thing isn't for everybody. Nice tele builds though, and he works hard at it. He's only just starting out.

Reactions: bigboki

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I just photographed that one for him the other day. Sweet-looking guitar, my personal favourite so far. He's also got a line of "Mutts" which will have the same reclaimed wood aesthetic, but at a more affordable price point. The thing about those Douglas Fir bodies is that they really sound alive when you strum them unplugged - always a good sign.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello There :)

Brian here. (Cat's sleeping in the closet :)

Just wanted to let you know that I will have a couple of Audio Demos (Video) that I'd like to share.
I'll post them on Youtube, FB, Instagram, ... everywhere possible, and I guess I'll have to post links here.

I'll figure it out.

Anyway, end-of-month, beginning of July I hope to have it all finished.

Thanks
Brian

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you. They are all hand made, hand carved and / or tooled. The pictured one has an old (Pagan) Slavic symbol: KOLOVRAT. It is also called The Slavic Sun. Closed related to Svastika, which came from India and was used in early Christian imagery, by Slavs and Celts, by the way. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased one of Brian's Joistcaster (I keep calling them "Jointcaster" guitars...sorry Brian) guitars and I couldn't be happier. Not only are these instruments beautiful, they play incredibly well too. As far as tone goes, well, it's subjective, obviously, but I run my guitars through an Orange TH30 (attached to a PPC 412) and an Orange CR120H (attached to a Crush Pro 412) simultaneously. The solid state amp is the wet amp and the TH30 is, more or less, dry (I do run a Hall of Fame reverb through it at times). This set up, combined with the Joistcaster loaded with Rainville pick-ups, sounds incredible. Primarily, I'm looking for great clean tones and this entire combination delivers exactly what I hear in my head. When the moment calls for something a bit more dirty, the guitar, along with the rig, deliver again. Quiet, responsive, sparkle. It's all there in this guitar.

I love what Brian is creating and I'm very excited about what's to come.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
This from Gear Manndude

They were both FANTASTIC!!! Really loved the feeling and resonance from those bodies...and just the whole "look" and vibe...truly works of functioning art!
Can you tell us about the Mutts? You have one listed for about $900 Cdn right now that looks really nice. I gotta ask, why so cheap? Is it a Epiphone B-stock you modded or something? Pickups?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Can you tell us about the Mutts? You have one listed for about $900 Cdn right now that looks really nice. I gotta ask, why so cheap? Is it a Epiphone B-stock you modded or something? Pickups?
Hey madhermit! I apologize for taking so long to reply. The one you are referring to was sold a couple of months ago on Reverb. Here's what the buyer said: "It sounds great. I really like the aggressive output of the hum-bucker actually"
  • Brett
  • May 21, 2019 06:47 PM
I think that the MUTT description I gave on Reverb is (quite) adequate:

"I call them "Brian's Mutts" because they are heavily modified, made from old and new (mis) matched parts and pieces, some mated with seemingly odd high quality and low - fi components. But, they are all made to please the player and the listener. Brian's Mutts are all very unique looking and sounding "Things with Strings".

Of un-known parents, un-known parts origin, un-known pickups, un-known tuners with missing covers, ... A mess!

Scruffy looking but performing better than top dogs!

(Runs circles around them!)

• No pedigree.

• Looks like a Mutt.

• Sings like a bird!".

No two Mutts are the same! They are all finished the same way JoistCasters are: NO POLLY. NO NITRO. French Polish (hand rubbed Shellack) and/or oil / wax, only.

I will be making Mutts from NTCI Reclaimed Douglas Fir joists. However the bodies will be made from 2 or 3 pieces. JoistCasters are one solid piece :). They will be listed at a price between current Mutts, which is around CAN$900-1200 and JoistCasters. Depending on hardware, they will be offered at about CAN$2000. Check out

BadBrian

for availability.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey madhermit! I apologize for taking so long to reply. The one you are referring to was sold a couple of months ago on Reverb. Here's what the buyer said: "It sounds great. I really like the aggressive output of the hum-bucker actually"
  • Brett
  • May 21, 2019 06:47 PM
I think that the MUTT description I gave on Reverb is (quite) adequate:

"I call them "Brian's Mutts" because they are heavily modified, made from old and new (mis) matched parts and pieces, some mated with seemingly odd high quality and low - fi components. But, they are all made to please the player and the listener. Brian's Mutts are all very unique looking and sounding "Things with Strings".

Of un-known parents, un-known parts origin, un-known pickups, un-known tuners with missing covers, ... A mess!

Scruffy looking but performing better than top dogs!

(Runs circles around them!)

• No pedigree.

• Looks like a Mutt.

• Sings like a bird!".

No two Mutts are the same! They are all finished the same way JoistCasters are: NO POLLY. NO NITRO. French Polish (hand rubbed Shellack) and/or oil / wax, only.

I will be making Mutts from NTCI Reclaimed Douglas Fir joists. However the bodies will be made from 2 or 3 pieces. JoistCasters are one solid piece :). They will be listed at a price between current Mutts, which is around CAN$900-1200 and JoistCasters. Depending on hardware, they will be offered at about CAN$2000. Check out

BadBrian

for availability.
Sorry, I forgot to say, the Mutt that was sold in May had an alder body, Maple top and back, Squier neck and "Duncan Designed" pickups.

·
Registered
12 Posts
He
Sorry, I forgot to say, the Mutt that was sold in May had an alder body, Maple top and back, Squier neck and "Duncan Designed" pickups.
re's a full review of the Mutt you asked for:

Brian's Mutt • "Rusty" 2019 Natural

(Five Star Reverb Review:)

"Great guitar. Really does sing like a bird. Guitar arrived in sufficiently protective packaging and was undamaged, is clean and plays beautifully. Action is set nicely and intonation was almost perfect upon arrival. Very clear a lot of care was taken when putting this beauty together.

- Brett Pryor

·
Registered
12 Posts
I like your leather PG's.

View attachment 259444
Thank you. Most of them are made from vegetable tanned cowhide and are had carved, like the one in the photo. Some are hand tooled. They are all made by my friend Dragan Georgievski in Ohrid Macedonia. He makes leather things and bookbinding things. (with leather too). He's on FB, Instagram, ... His shop is called KNIGOVEZ which means Bookbindery.

Dragan Georgievski (@knigovez) • Instagram photos and videos

1 - 18 of 18 Posts