The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Pretty good, overall. It works well, solidly built, is very quiet, has tap tempo and allows you to tinker with lots and lots of variables. I've owned two and kept them for quite a while. Downsides? The modulation isn't really my favourite and it takes a fair bit of current to power.

·
Premium Member
4,190 Posts
I have one on my board. Excellent tape delay, closest you can get from a real tape echo delay.

·
Registered
10,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I need to look into much more than I have, but I like the idea of tap delay and looping with the ability to degrade the sound.

What's the ball park on new pricing? L&M says to contact them for pricing.

·
Premium Member
16,825 Posts
I need to look into much more than I have, but I like the idea of tap delay and looping with the ability to degrade the sound.

What's the ball park on new pricing? L&M says to contact them for pricing.
Around $400 plus tax.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,112 Posts
Great pedal but expensive new. Used market had slowed a lot though. I remember a time when if you posted one for sale foe $350 shipped it wouldn't last 30 min. Now that there's a bunch out there they can be had cheaper if you're patient. I had the chance to buy one for $250 a few weeks back.

·
Registered
10,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It looks like there's a lot of functions on it where you hold this button down while twitching your nose, right?

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
It looks like there's a lot of functions on it where you hold this button down while twitching your nose, right?
Yeah, exactly. A few too many tweaks for me. I like the simpler ones, like the Belle Epoch (but no tap tempo), Alter Ego2 (sort of tap, but it doesn't work very well) and the MXR echoplex (has tap but external footswitch needed). They don't sound better or worse than the el cap, each is good in its own way.

The best is something like a Fulltone TTE or SSTE (I have both) simple and sound amazing, but they are big, bulky and work to maintain.

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
Yeah, exactly. A few too many tweaks for me. I like the simpler ones, like the Belle Epoch (but no tap tempo), Alter Ego2 (sort of tap, but it doesn't work very well) and the MXR echoplex (has tap but external footswitch needed). They don't sound better or worse than the el cap, each is good in its own way.

The best is something like a Fulltone TTE or SSTE (I have both) simple and sound amazing, but they are big, bulky and work to maintain.
I'm curious to know which you prefer between the TTE and SSTE?

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
SSTE for clean sounds, the TTE works well for both. The SSTE has brighter/clearer repeats, and the modulation is a bit more pronounced. The preamp is a bit sweeter sounding and has more coloration for cleans, especially nice with strats. Its the "cliffs of dover" sound.

The TTE has a bit more neutral preamp, less coloration, sounds better with distortion, and with higher output guitars (great with a Les Paul) I think the TTE preamp is slightly quieter as well.

The TTE also has stereo outs, and sounds amazing through two amps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts