The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
My understanding is you need the Cites document otherwise it could get hung up in Customs. Search "Cites" for who you need to contact.

·
Premium Member
10,042 Posts
I think the problem is, you don't want to deal with them thinking its braz even if it isn't.

I may be paranoid, but until the system gets worked out, I'm putting all buying and selling with the US on hold (at least with guitars).

·
Premium Member
4,545 Posts
If it's rosewood, I would ask for the
certificate for the guitar just in case

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Yes, you will need a CITES certificate to ship the JS over to the states (I just saw the ad on my Reverb feed.) I've read it can take upwards of 10 days to obtain it, although I personally don't have first hand experience. If you sell it to the US, I would apply for the certificate and not take a chance on having the guitar stopped and confiscated at US customs without it. The forms look to be pretty straight forward.

·
Premium Member
3,471 Posts
There is a little more to the forms in Canada and not sure how strict they are on the details. The form states that it can take up to 40 calendar days to issue a permit. I've attempted to upload the form that was sent to me by Environment Canada.

Since March this year, I've had all guitars coming from the US shipped at a private mail box facility in Niagara Falls NY. You are allowed to enter Canada with the guitar as long as the quantity in less than 10Kg (Customs agents have not asked me that question yet). Shipping is the difficulty (quote below from the Head of the CITES Permit Policy and Operations Unit when I questioned this in January 2017).

When items are shipped, it is difficult for us to validate the claim of personal use, so we do not allow shipments to travel under the exemption allowed for rosewood items. It is too difficult to implement correctly.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts