The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of any site/Shop that actually lists online prices. Specifically I was looking into an American Strat and found quite a few US sites that had most models and pricing but all Canadian sites don't list prices or even the models they carry. They link you to the manufacturer's hompage. I was simply looking for competitive pricing from Canadian shops to make a decision but they all seem to want a phone call.

I looked at the Canadian store post but they all seem to fall into the no price catagory.

·
Registered
95 Posts
No and even with the dollar at 1.03 they still haven't cut prices either. Example 72 deluxe MIM tele quote from 2 large distributers in Canada $799+$45 shipping.

Same guitar through instrumentpro $645 who gave me free shipping on two telecasters purchased 2 years ago .

Candian retailers better get their heads out of the sand.

·
Banned
5,368 Posts
telenator, don't expext places in canada to suddenly drop their prices, the stuff they got in stock were bought at the old prices, so they can't loose money either.

·
Banned
5,368 Posts
Long & McQuade has a low price guarantee. I'll make the drive from Brantford to Cambridge to make any purchase over $100.00. L&M will likely have a faster inventory turnover, so those instruments bought with a weaker USD will be on the wall much quicker than at the Brantford Music Center.

L&M has a 30 day money back guarantee. If you don't like the instrument for any reason, return it in shiny like new condition and you will get your refund.

The word of mouth on The Brantford Music Center is pretty much in two solid camps. There are those who shop there exclusively, and there are those who won't even drive down Colborne street on principal. There don't seem to be too many casual opinions.

A nice advantage to going to L&M is that you can try out new Fender guitars using a new Traynor amp. You can't do that little trick in Brantford.

Fender prohibits dealers from posting pricing online, so don't be hard on the dealers for that.

Yeah, Fender sucks for that...only US sites can show off prices, that's just plain stupid.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
telenator, don't expext places in canada to suddenly drop their prices, the stuff they got in stock were bought at the old prices, so they can't loose money either.
"LOOSE MONEY"..!!!!!!!!
give me a break.

If we keep shopping for the lowest prices ( still the good old USA), maybe someone will get the hint and stop screwing us around.

By the way, dont ever be shy of saying " hey I can get this for a lot cheaper...I would love to support your local store so when will you adjust your prices?"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Long & McQuade has a low price guarantee. I'll make the drive from Brantford to Cambridge to make any purchase over $100.00. L&M will likely have a faster inventory turnover, so those instruments bought with a weaker USD will be on the wall much quicker than at the Brantford Music Center.

L&M has a 30 day money back guarantee. If you don't like the instrument for any reason, return it in shiny like new condition and you will get your refund.

The word of mouth on The Brantford Music Center is pretty much in two solid camps. There are those who shop there exclusively, and there are those who won't even drive down Colborne street on principal. There don't seem to be too many casual opinions.

A nice advantage to going to L&M is that you can try out new Fender guitars using a new Traynor amp. You can't do that little trick in Brantford.

Fender prohibits dealers from posting pricing online, so don't be hard on the dealers for that.

Paul I'm in the second category on Brantford Music Center. Used to go there just to browse and always felt like they were looking down on you. Salespeople with attitude if you we're sure what you wanted or novice. Not very helpful. So I decided never to go there again. I have purchased 4 guitars since those days without ever considering BMC. Two from L&M (Tak/Taylor), one from Mountain Music (Strat) and one Beauty Les Paul Classic recently from LA Music in Brantford. Was very happy with LA Music but this time around I'm looking for the EC Sig Strat. So will have to drive to Burlington soon, or maybe try the Cambridge shop. I'd consider purchasing online from the US if the price was right but am worried about duty/brokerage fees. Anybody have any experience/info or advice on purchasing from US?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Buy what you want, shop where you want, it's all your choice. But please be aware that it's not as simple as the Canadian dollar is now at par. If the source currency of the item is NOT USD, (Mexican Peso, Yuan, etc), the price shift isn't nearly as dramatic. In fact, from the perspective of the US, the cost of those items has gone UP, and now they will in turn sell them to us. At a profit to them, of course.
Paul I don't think anyone was saying a Fender guitar purchased in Canada has to be the same unit cost as the same guitar purchased in the states. if your dollar has increased in value by nearly 20% compared to the US dollar or globally for that matter, and you are a Canadian business retailing in foreign goods, at some point in time that increase in purchasing power has to be passed on to the consumer.

The last time I checked the US was not in a recession, the last time I checked Fender's suggested retail prices, they have not gone up, and the last time I checked MIA Fenders were still built with MIA parts.

I believe Harley Davidson and BMW dealers are getting the picture. Maybe it's just a matter of time before large music retail chains in Canada get the picture instead of giving us a smoke and mirrors dance.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'd consider purchasing online from the US if the price was right but am worried about duty/brokerage fees. Anybody have any experience/info or advice on purchasing from US?
Yes I've purchased three guitars out of the US in the last three years. If they are large, generally you can wheel and deal with them because their sales people get a commission. If they are offering free shipping within the US you can usually get them to ship free to Canada . If you want to avoid brokerage fees ask them to ship through the United States Parcel Service instead of a Courier, no brokerage fee that way. My last two came in this way. My first purchase was through courier service and I believe the brokerage fee was $25 USD for a guitar in a hardshell case. If the item is covered under NAFTA it's just like shopping down town, except for the handling fee through customs (cheaper not going through a Courier service).

My only dissapointment doing things this way is, if the item is not in stock sometimes they won't tell, and have you waiting three months before you recieve your product.

EDIT
Make sure they have a policy where the item is insured for shipping.

·
Registered
95 Posts
By the way, dont ever be shy of saying " hey I can get this for a lot cheaper...I would love to support your local store so when will you adjust your prices?"
Here's one of the quotes from a Canadian retailer

Hi'
Fender telecaster deluxe 72 walnut or black 799.99
Fender code 013-7702-392
Shipping $ 40.00
Thanks, have a nice day!

Here's my response

Can get the same guitar out of the States for $645 USD plus $50USD shipping.
With the Canadian dollar being at parity you would think Canadian retailers
would lower their prices. Pretty hot topic on some guitar forums I visit.
Thanks anyway

·
Registered
872 Posts
Prices are dropping. Not alot but they are. I bought a Rockstand 5 guitar stand today from L&M and it was $57.99 Musiciansfriend is selling it for $59.99 First time I've seen something cheaper here. Some of the guitars are going down too. I talked to one of the guys I know there and he said almost everything in the store has dropped. But he also said some didn't drop much at all.

·
Registered
944 Posts
If Canadian suppliers aren't dropping the retailers cost how can you expect them to lower the selling price? :mad:
Canadian suppliers are on drugs for their pricing. I'd love to have a Canadian distributor to buy from, but they won't budge...

My wholesale cost for a certain power MOSFET in Canada - $5.24
My wholesale (landed!!!) cost for said same MOSFET from the USA - $2.25

Guess who gets my business.

When the distributors go under one-by-one, as they have been doing, the remaining ones will hopefully smarten up. The small shops in Vancouver sure have as the biggies died like flies for not competing!

But with protected areas, what can you do? How about a union and pull a Wal-Mart "You sell to us at this price or else!" - we're too small of a market... they wouldn't think twice of pulling the plug on Canada, period. BUT, that would enable us to buy from the USA. Double edged sword.

·
Registered
561 Posts
We have pricing on our site, and we have been at par for several weeks. We also reduced the dealer cost on the products we distribute and price protected our dealers (on these products) back to September 1. As far as I know, we are far from being the only ones doing similar things so maybe with a little shopping you guys can find what you want at the right price.

Did we take a major hit on our stock? Oh yeah, but I'd rather sell stuff than whine....and we have been quite busy thanks, we sold 3 $3k+ amps just today.

Andy

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Paul I don't think anyone was saying a Fender guitar purchased in Canada has to be the same unit cost as the same guitar purchased in the states. if your dollar has increased in value by nearly 20% compared to the US dollar or globally for that matter, and you are a Canadian business retailing in foreign goods, at some point in time that increase in purchasing power has to be passed on to the consumer.

I couldnt of said it better myself....

The only thing thats changed is our dollar compared to the USA buck.
All other costs remain the same as they where where the loonie was 20% less.
I just want the retailer to pass this currency exchange on to us.

·
Banned
5,368 Posts
Guys, i feel your frustration..i sure do, but it's simple econonic, would YOU loose money just because someone tells you he can get it 50$ cheaper elsewhere?....no you would'nt. and neither would i. it's SIMPLE economics. we are BARELY just getting par with our dollard, don't expect everystore in canada to jump up and down to try to march US prices with stock they had for a long time. that would be REALY stupid on their part.

And not because we see a meer 0.07$ increase in a year that the world will change. BUT, it will change slowly if our dollar stays strong.

ONE THING i find funny, one exemple, yestruday when i went to try the new traynor that JUST CAME OUT, why do i pay LESS for a canadien Amp, if i buy it in the US!?....the sale rep from traynor was there, and he would'nt tell me!, well, he lost a big sale. 2 actually, another dude wanted one as well.

anyway, we need to be patient, i mean we're paying gaz for our cars a LOT MORE then they do in the US right now. but it's slownly comming down, i hope..;)

Be patient guys, i think once shops starts to get new stock, we'll see a lot of price change, specialy during X-Mas when they start to order in.

·
Banned
5,368 Posts
We have pricing on our site, and we have been at par for several weeks. We also reduced the dealer cost on the products we distribute and price protected our dealers (on these products) back to September 1. As far as I know, we are far from being the only ones doing similar things so maybe with a little shopping you guys can find what you want at the right price.

Did we take a major hit on our stock? Oh yeah, but I'd rather sell stuff than whine....and we have been quite busy thanks, we sold 3 $3k+ amps just today.

Andy
Andy..what's your store?..link would help!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts