The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1969 one, but I am interested in having one built as well. I'd be interested in a couple of 'updated features' like a standby switch, and making it 1x12 instead of 1x10. Possibly uping the power a little to the 18-22 watt range to make it kind of a cross between a Deluxe Reverb and a Princeton Reverb. Those few features would make the perfect amp even more perfect for me :)

I like the amps Allen makes, but I'd obviously like to find a Canadian builder who can do something similar to avoid excess shipping and taxes.

A second option is, I'd be willing to have my chasis modified. I own the amp to play, not to sit around as a collector's piece. So I don't consider it blasphemy to mod it.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Maybe yes, maybe no!

torndownunit said:
I own a 1969 one, but I am interested in having one built as well. I'd be interested in a couple of 'updated features' like a standby switch, and making it 1x12 instead of 1x10. Possibly uping the power a little to the 18-22 watt range to make it kind of a cross between a Deluxe Reverb and a Princeton Reverb. Those few features would make the perfect amp even more perfect for me :)

I like the amps Allen makes, but I'd obviously like to find a Canadian builder who can do something similar to avoid excess shipping and taxes.

A second option is, I'd be willing to have my chasis modified. I own the amp to play, not to sit around as a collector's piece. So I don't consider it blasphemy to mod it.

Thanks
A Deluxe is quite a different animal than a Princeton. The Deluxe uses a type of phase inverter to drive the output tubes which has a lot of gain. The Princeton has a simpler circuit which has no gain at all.

That's why they sound different! You choose which one you like most or which better suits the job at hand.

Both amps run pretty much the same voltages on the output tubes. These are already pushing the specs on 6V6 tubes and there's really no room to up them even more to get a few watts of power. Besides, if you changed the stock speaker to one of the new Eminence Patriots the speaker efficiency is so much higher the amp will sound twice as loud. This would be a much bigger kick than trying to flog the poor output tubes.

DRs sound louder 'cuz they have more gain ahead of the output tubes and can thus drive them into power amp distortion. This is the mojo sound of a vintage tube amp which you can't get screwing around with a "gain-master volume" setup. The latter is all about pre-amp distortion, which is "fizzy" and "crunchy" rather than thick and raunchy!

Besides, the power trannie in a tube amp gives you certain voltages to work with, and that's it! You be liking it 'cuz you can't change it! At least, not without changing the transformer, and maybe the output transformer as well. These are the most expensive parts in an amp.

If you want to change the circuit in the Princeton to be like the DR that's not hard to do. Neither is adding a standby switch, although I'm not sure why you'd want to. At these power levels it won't do much of anything as far as taking stress off the tubes. A standby is a convenient mute between sets when you want to leave your amp warmed up but you can do that by simply turning down the volume knob.

If you can live without reverb I've got a 1-12" Celestion combo that really rocks that will fit into your budget. You can call me or private email if you want to talk about it. Right now it's out as a loaner and it might get sold but I've always got a few options happening. This might be a better idea anyway. You can probably get enough from selling the Princeton without butchering it to buy something like I described and come out with money left in your pocket!

It's up to you, of course. Just some points to consider.

·
Premium Member
5,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Regarding the comments about the Princeton's power, Allen's Sweet Spot is rated at 18-25 watts depending on the tubes in it. So he's managed to do some mods while using the Princeton Reverb as a model. I don't think mine puts out 18 watts.

I wasn't actually saying I'd like the Princeton to 'be like a DR'. The Princeton is a great sounding amp. Reading the specs on Allen's amps though, he has done some worthwhile adjustments to the design in my opnion. And on paper, it sounds sort of like the bets parts of a Princeton and a DR.

Reverb is an essential feature for me. And Tremolo is pretty important too. So that leaves your combo out Bill :).

I will likely just start off by fiddling with some speaker combinations. If that makes the amp come across a little louder, that will likely solve one of the issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts