The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of an 8 string in the new year, but am thinking that while pretty cool, would be little more than an occassional "effect" in a classic rock band cover setting.

Can they see action throughout the course of a gig?

Perhaps a 6 string bass would be more useful?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I don't play bass , but I think 8 string bass soudn really big , and could see a lot of use... More than a 6 string . Depends on what kind of music you're playing I guess , but I see a lot of people with extended range instruments not using the extra strings , while the 8 string would "replace" the 4 string .

Or you could just buy one of each :rockon2:

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
About 10 yrs ago, I saw Dug from King's X play an 8 string, and it sounded absolutely monstrous.

On King's X recent tour he played a 4 string, using a harmonizer to get the same sort of tone, and it sounded equally monstrous.

So maybe an electronic simulation of an 8-string sound would get you 90% of the way there for alot less money and hassle.

The Boss OC-2 sounds great on bass, maybe the Boss PS-3 or HR-2 set to play 5ths would sound cool.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CalgaryTerry said:
About 10 yrs ago, I saw Dug from King's X play an 8 string, and it sounded absolutely monstrous.

On King's X recent tour he played a 4 string, using a harmonizer to get the same sort of tone, and it sounded equally monstrous.

So maybe an electronic simulation of an 8-string sound would get you 90% of the way there for alot less money and hassle.

The Boss OC-2 sounds great on bass, maybe the Boss PS-3 or HR-2 set to play 5ths would sound cool.
Yeah, but a pedal ain't as much fun as another bass.:tongue:

Dug did use the odd 8 string, but he has extensively always used 12 stringers in a lot of the early stuff. He did use the 12er on this latest tour, usually the last 2 songs of the night.

I'm thinking an 8 string though as the 12 string is just too huge a sound.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
THEY MAKE 12 STRING BASSES???!!!!:eek: :eek:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Xanadu said:
THEY MAKE 12 STRING BASSES???!!!!:eek: :eek:

What are ya, new?

King's X
Cheap Trick
Pearl Jam.

Hamer more or less invented them. Many others make them now. Warrior even makes a custom 15 string, but I don't have a spare $10000 lying around.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
james on bass said:
What are ya, new?

King's X
Cheap Trick
Pearl Jam.

Hamer more or less invented them. Many others make them now. Warrior even makes a custom 15 string, but I don't have a spare $10000 lying around.
well im not old.:tongue:

when you say 12-string bass are you talking 6 pairs or 4 triples?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Xanadu said:
well im not old.:tongue:

when you say 12-string bass are you talking 6 pairs or 4 triples?
4 triples. Your basic fundamental strings with a pair of strings for each tuned an octave higher. An 8 string would have just 1 octave string.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Coustfan'01 said:
Buy that !

:banana:
if u buy it for me...ill play it.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
KevenK said:
Shame on everyone that use more than 4 strings.
just because i can handle more strings than you, doesnt make you better than me.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
KevenK said:
Shame on everyone that use more than 4 strings.
:rolleyes:

While I agree 11 strings is too many (for me), 5 string is the new 4 string. Anyone who thinks more than 4 strings is utterly useless on bass is sorely mistaken.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Our bass player uses a 12 string Hamer alot in our gigs. It is a really wild sounding instrument and sure helps fill in with us just being a trio.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can have alot of fun with an 8er in a rock band. I traded basses with a buddy of mine back in Toronto, my 84 Ray for his Zon 8. And man, was that thing amazing:bow:
You can get decent cheap ones that are fun to bang around on. Tend to work a little better for sustaining notes then faster runs, but they can blend in and fill up some sonic space pretty damn well.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
dubwolf said:
You can have alot of fun with an 8er in a rock band. I traded basses with a buddy of mine back in Toronto, my 84 Ray for his Zon 8. And man, was that thing amazing:bow:
You can get decent cheap ones that are fun to bang around on. Tend to work a little better for sustaining notes then faster runs, but they can blend in and fill up some sonic space pretty damn well.
Hey, I know you BMG. Nice to see ya here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts