The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Or something.

The week before last I kept waking up in the mornings feeling like I hadn't slept well at all, but I had definitely gotten enough sleep and was sleeping through the night.

Last Monday I felt like my system had been shocked, but nothing had happened. I felt really off though and I couldn't calm down. It was as if electricity was running through my body.

As of last Thursday I started freaking out and couldn't sit still. I'm having a hard time even looking at food, my body feels like it's in hyper drive and my mind is racing and panicking, but I'm getting weaker and weaker. I'm gagging and feel extremely cold all the time. Yesterday there was a point where I didn't feel strong enough to bring food to my mouth.

I have a doctor's appointment on Thursday.

I've had blood levels go out of whack before. Who knows.

·
Registered
24,709 Posts
1) Hope these are not symptoms of a serious health problem. Fingers crossed for you.

2) The interpretation of bodily experience is something I find fascinating. Ever since the original 1962 Schacter & Singer study that looked at artificially-induced arousal and the potential explanations/attributions available to people, the relationship between what we are feeling, viscerally, what we think is happening, and how we feel about something, is fascinating to me. It has also led to some interesting approaches to therapy for emotion-based problems.

·
Registered
10,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1) Hope these are not symptoms of a serious health problem. Fingers crossed for you.

2) The interpretation of bodily experience is something I find fascinating. Ever since the original 1962 Schacter & Singer study that looked at artificially-induced arousal and the potential explanations/attributions available to people, the relationship between what we are feeling, viscerally, what we think is happening, and how we feel about something, is fascinating to me. It has also led to some interesting approaches to therapy for emotion-based problems.
Oh I'm sure I'm at least partially nuts, but the physical symptoms are definitely bothering me.

·
Registered
24,709 Posts
My former supervisor had some cardiac problems, and his blood pressure would soar to frightening levels. One of the medical consults encouraged him to try relaxation training, or do something to relieve his stress. Now, while he was a person who was easily stressed out by his managerial obligations, a big chunk of his stress actually came from the cardiac problems, that would just erupt out of nowhere, rather than the stress causing the cardiac issues. Turned out that after considerable testing, there was an erroneous nerve stimulating his heart in a manner to produce asynchronies and palpitations. He had some surgery to put the kybosh on that particular nerve tract and the problem subsided.

There is little doubt that psychological concerns CAN express themselves in somatic ailments. But at the same time, finding that your body is "not performing to spec", in erratic ways, is an extremely sound basis for psychological concerns. A few winters back, my blood pressure was dangerously and conspicuously high for a period of about 2 months. I would have to "nitro up" constantly to bring things back down again. My wife bought me a blood-pressure monitor for the office so I wouldn't have to run across the street to Shopper's Drug Mart to measure it whenever my BP felt high. I was genuinely concerned because this had come out of nowhere, with nothing particularly significant or burdensome going on in my life. I went to see my family doctor, who arranged for me to have a stress test at the Heart Institute. And about 2 days before I went for the stress test, BP came back to normal, just as suddenly and mysteriousy as it had spiked for 2 months. They did all the usual diagnostic stuff, and when I went back to go over the results with the cardiologist, he said "You're fine. Nothing wrong. You can go home."

Singular most unsatisfying medical appointment of my life. I would have been happy with "I've seen these sorts of thing happen in past. They come and go. Disconcerting, yes, but perfectly normal. Nothing to worry about." So why the hell was I getting readings of 170 over 120 for the last 2 months? Please help me make some sense of that.

I certainly hope your next appointment is more fulfilling.

(And for the record, "psychosomatic" means real physical symptoms arising from psychological/emotional causes. Not to be confused with "hypochondriasis", which is the exaggerated perception of real or imagined bodily sensations.)

·
Registered
10,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My former supervisor had some cardiac problems, and his blood pressure would soar to frightening levels. One of the medical consults encouraged him to try relaxation training, or do something to relieve his stress. Now, while he was a person who was easily stressed out by his managerial obligations, a big chunk of his stress actually came from the cardiac problems, that would just erupt out of nowhere, rather than the stress causing the cardiac issues. Turned out that after considerable testing, there was an erroneous nerve stimulating his heart in a manner to produce asynchronies and palpitations. He had some surgery to put the kybosh on that particular nerve tract and the problem subsided.

There is little doubt that psychological concerns CAN express themselves in somatic ailments. But at the same time, finding that your body is "not performing to spec", in erratic ways, is an extremely sound basis for psychological concerns. A few winters back, my blood pressure was dangerously and conspicuously high for a period of about 2 months. I would have to "nitro up" constantly to bring things back down again. My wife bought me a blood-pressure monitor for the office so I wouldn't have to run across the street to Shopper's Drug Mart to measure it whenever my BP felt high. I was genuinely concerned because this had come out of nowhere, with nothing particularly significant or burdensome going on in my life. I went to see my family doctor, who arranged for me to have a stress test at the Heart Institute. And about 2 days before I went for the stress test, BP came back to normal, just as suddenly and mysteriousy as it had spiked for 2 months. They did all the usual diagnostic stuff, and when I went back to go over the results with the cardiologist, he said "You're fine. Nothing wrong. You can go home."

Singular most unsatisfying medical appointment of my life. I would have been happy with "I've seen these sorts of thing happen in past. They come and go. Disconcerting, yes, but perfectly normal. Nothing to worry about." So why the hell was I getting readings of 170 over 120 for the last 2 months? Please help me make some sense of that.

I certainly hope your next appointment is more fulfilling.

(And for the record, "psychosomatic" means real physical symptoms arising from psychological/emotional causes. Not to be confused with "hypochondriasis", which is the exaggerated perception of real or imagined bodily sensations.)
My psychopathology prof in university told us how after his wife's father died, her legs suddenly gave out and she was in a wheelchair for a year. Just goes to show the mind/body connection I guess.

·
Premium Member
11,093 Posts
Best of luck.

In my current case, hypertension (high blood pressure) is a major contributor. In my past, job stress was the major contributor. Other illnesses can be concerns too. Full blood, urine, stool tests, medical imagery, and a good physical may reveal things.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
So sorry to hear. If you're feeling that poorly, might it be best to go to emergency at the hospital or even a walkin clinic? Sometimes, it's best to nip these things in the bud.

Reactions: butterknucket

·
Registered
24,709 Posts
My psychopathology prof in university told us how after his wife's father died, her legs suddenly gave out and she was in a wheelchair for a year. Just goes to show the mind/body connection I guess.
Yeah, sometimes there are "symbolic" consequences. But the brunt of psychosomatic ailments generally occur in response to sustained autonomic arousal, and have no symbolic value; i.e., nothing to get all Freudian about. People get ailments because their body is doing what every body does in response to stress, just more and for longer periods. And that sustained intense response has physical consequences.

I was an undergrad when "biofeedback" came into fashion. The doctoral student who was helping me with my thesis project had a client with Raynaud's disease ( Raynaud's disease - Symptoms and causes ). He was using relaxation training and biofeedback to help her restore circulation to her face and hands (which were bluish when she came in). It was amazing to see her raise her skin temperature voluntarily. I only learned last year that, after graduating from McGill, he eventually went on to become a member of the Quebec National Assembly, and had focussed on child welfare and well-being. ( Camil Bouchard - Wikipedia )

·
Registered
10,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So sorry to hear. If you're feeling that poorly, might it be best to go to emergency at the hospital or even a walkin clinic? Sometimes, it's best to nip these things in the bud.
The thought of going to the emergency room has crossed my mind many time over the last two days, but I'd rather not sit there all night. I'm sure my doctor wil do due diligence when I see him. Thanks for the concern.

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
The tricky thing is anxiety can affect different people in different ways and to different degrees. It doesn't help that the symptoms can often mimic the symptoms of other conditions. Professional advice is the best/safest bet. Best of luck.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
The thought of going to the emergency room has crossed my mind many time over the last two days, but I'd rather not sit there all night. I'm sure my doctor wil do due diligence when I see him. Thanks for the concern.
That is your choice, and in your state sitting around ER waiting would probably not be pleasant.
But please do not hesitate for one second to call 911 if necessary.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
I hope that discussing it here with us reduces the anxiety a little bit. My dear wife went through several years of depression and anxiety and talking always helped.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Had a very bad night. I have no idea what's going on.
Butter, could you not call your doctor and explain you need to see him now and get in today or just go to his office and see if they can fit you in today? Many will do that if their clients have serious issues and you qualify for that.

Reactions: JBFairthorne

·
Registered
10,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Butter, could you not call your doctor and explain you need to see him now and get in today or just go to his office and see if they can fit you in today? Many will do that if their clients have serious issues and you qualify for that.
I'm calling when they open at 9. This seems like something more than anxiety to me.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts