The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw on CTV news that chef Anthony Bourdain has passed away at 61. Can anyone confirm this yet?

·
Registered
10,094 Posts
Heard it on the radio this morning.

I hadn't watched his show in a while, but I did like it and I found him very entertaining.

RIP

·
Registered
208 Posts
Sad and surprising that such a "Bon Vivant" would commit suicide. You never know what grip suicide has on individuals. He was irreverent, talented, daring and a very interesting TV host. I especially enjoyed his shows on Quebec and NewFoudland. RIP

·
Registered
24,395 Posts
What was charming and appealing about Bourdain was his openness to experience, and willingness to try just about anything. Unfortunately, that can sometimes bring along impulsiveness for the ride. And by his own admission, chefs can be a cantankerous lot. A damn shame that what often appealsto us onlookers about celebrities can be their very undoing.

Anthony Bourdain has died at 61

·
Registered
7,509 Posts
Was never exposed to much of him, but another sad situation. There was some designer or such that just committed suicide too. Obviously having money, fame, being well travelled, liked, and all the other benefits people seem to strive for is not the answer to happiness. Mental health issues transcend those boundaries. It seems to be cropping up more as affluent people who seem (at least publicly) to enjoy an enviable life style suffer from mental health afflictions.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Very surprised to hear this news about Anthony.
He obviously had some inner demons that got the better of him in the end.

I have seem most of his shows and loved every episode.
The good side is that Anthony will leave a large body of work that will be enjoyed by many for a long time.

RIP Anthony
G.

·
Premium Member
9,766 Posts
Whaaaattt????
Holy smokes, didn't see that coming. He seemed like such an intelligent guy that had his shit together.

·
Premium Member
16,840 Posts
Rest in peace.

If you need help with your mental health, it is available and there are free resources. Depression is not discriminating.

I really enjoyed his show. It humanizes people in a way most shows dont.

·
Registered
11,271 Posts
never really paid attention to him, maybe landed on his show while flipping once or twice, but last night watched a YT clip of him giving tips on how to prepare something on the grill. it was good advice.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,123 Posts
Whaaaattt????
Holy smokes, didn't see that coming. He seemed like such an intelligent guy that had his shit together.
He had a history of heroin abuse, so there were definitely inner demons at work. Still very sad whenever anyone takes their own life.

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I love this,
does this mean seeing it on a nationwide news network does not confirm it, but if someone on a guitar forum confirms it - it is so?
No, it simply means has anyone else herd about this other than me. Simple question.

·
Premium Member
11,879 Posts
Funny enough, although I'd heard about him for years, I never really watched any of his shows until last xmas. Sitting around with the g/f and got hooked on a couple of his shows (I think CNN was doing one of those episode-after-episode binge things). He was a very entertaining presenter and was in some interesting settings, but like commercials (back when I used to have to watch them), the show left me hungry. I don't need that.

I've heard that he had complained about how busy he always was. And he didn't see any way out of that - being busy led to fame and fortune, which just led him to being busier and busier. Why can't they just walk away and enjoy their life (and money)?

From the outside, it sure looks like he had a fun go of it. RIP, Mr. Bourdain.

·
Premium Member
9,766 Posts
Didn’t know he had an 11 yr old kid he left behind. Respect drops from me.

I don’t give a shit what a 61 yr old man does, honestly. But Dads, you’ve got to be heroes....unfailing examples of perseverance to your kids. And you’ve got to do everything you can to see them through to adulthood. Suicide dad is the ultimate deadbeat dad.
No more honouring of this coward that leaves an 11yr old girl without a dad, from me.

If this pisses off some of you celeb sycohohants for not being respectful, tough shit. I’m calling out everyone of these selfish fuckers that dodge their obligations to their children and leave them devastated. If he can’t deal with his shit, how does he expect a kid to now?? Fuck this pisses me off. I wasn’t the same after my dad died when I was 27, I can’t imagine what my life would have been like if it happened when I was a kid.
If it’s get through to just 1 of you thinking of doing something stupid like this, then my mission is a success.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts