Not a lot of info on them on the web but what I found so far sounds pretty good

·
Registered
365 Posts
Looks pretty cool.

·
Premium Member
13,057 Posts
What's the tube complement? How big is the speaker??

·
Premium Member
17,446 Posts
What's the tube complement? How big is the speaker??
I was just about to ask the same questions...LOL

Also, Do you think that "Model G40" indicates 40 watts?

I'm sure that I have seen the "by Thorcraft" logo somewhere in the past...maybe an old stereo system?
Certainly not forgetting to mention the bold, flashy, impressive "Mustang" script. (couldn't resist...Sorry)

Dave

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
That amp isn't 40 watts. The 6bq5(el84) is the power tube and the rest are the preamp/trem tubes. Your looking somewhere in the 4 to 7 watts range. Those are cool old amps and you used to see them around fairly often. They are well made and like alot of Canadian amps were marketed under a few different names.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
My Epi pacemaker has model number EA50, coincidently so does the gibson skylark, but it houses 2 - EL84's and I think it is rated at 10 watts. Still cool old amps, used a couple of old Supro's and they were sweet.

·
Premium Member
2,039 Posts
VERY COOL !!!!! and a Mustang to boot.
Are you sure the 6AV6 designation on the tube chart is not for 6V6s and those are the power tubes? I don't know much about these things, but that's what it looks like to me. Then it might be around 20 watts.
Lets see a picture of chassis :smile:

Pete

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Are you sure the 6AV6 designation on the tube chart is not for 6V6s and those are the power tubes? I don't know much about these things, but that's what it looks like to me. Then it might be around 20 watts.

Pete
Nope!:smile:

A 6AV6 is a common tube. It is just 1 triode section of a 12AX7. So 2 of the smaller tube = 1 12AX7, which is a dual triode.

Also, some folks seem to be getting confused between output power and the power consumed by the entire amp. You may see 40 watts written near the power cord entry or the fuse holder. This is the total power used from the wall outlet. Each tube needs a couple of watts just to light it up and the circuit has only maybe 20-25% efficiency in delivering audio output power.

It's like how a litre of gas may contain so much energy but you get far less horse power than that actually reaching the wheels.

just FYI

:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Pete

1 - 13 of 13 Posts